How to make money in cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
I've had cow calfs for five years now and have enjoyed raising cattle. Still have a lot to learn but I've gained a lot of knowledge also.

We lost a chunk of our row crop operation recently and I'm looking for ways to make up the income loss. I'll have more time to devote to cows now. I'm really just looking for ideas for making money.

On a more long term project is there money selling f1 heifers?

F1s are a lucrative idea. Sexed semen may raise profits, I wouldn't want to sell an f1 steer North of I 40. What are your goals for a profit?

Grand pa always said to make a small fortune in the cattle business you had to start with a large one..

What about becoming an AI tech or offering some kind of ag related service?

My goal is to replace lost income in our row crop operation. Be able to stay on the farm. I'm going to have some time to devote to it since we're farming fewer acres.

I have 3 separate 12 acre fields that could easily go to cattle production, have fences and water, if the money made cows more profitable. I run 25 pairs currently.

A.i. And sexed semen make something like breding f1 females much easier then in the past.

In the past my goal was to stick cow calf and raise registered cows but now I'm not sure I want to play that game.

midTN_Brangusman":qahgzg0w said:
Hereford angus cross in your area may be the ticket!

I'm thinking cross my beef masters with Charlois. Lots of people with angus bulls to throw on those girls.

shaz":pm4z5kt7 said:
What about becoming an AI tech or offering some kind of ag related service?

I don't think there is enough demand to make much money as an ai tech. I looked into it about a year ago and there seems to be enough to met current demand. I think it's fairly affordable to get certified so I may do it anyway.

tdc_cattle":2ak8s74y said:
My goal is to replace lost income in our row crop operation. Be able to stay on the farm. I'm going to have some time to devote to it since we're farming fewer acres.

I have 3 separate 12 acre fields that could easily go to cattle production, have fences and water, if the money made cows more profitable. I run 25 pairs currently.

A.i. And sexed semen make something like breding f1 females much easier then in the past.

In the past my goal was to stick cow calf and raise registered cows but now I'm not sure I want to play that game.

Better do a little research here on using sexed semen. I was thinking about it, on my kids cows, so their herd would maybe grow a little quicker. A couple of extremely knowledgeable people here talked me out of it.

Bigfoot":3ktpzn9c said:
tdc_cattle":3ktpzn9c said:

Better do a little research here on using sexed semen. I was thinking about it, on my kids cows, so their herd would maybe grow a little quicker. A couple of extremely knowledgeable people here talked me out of it.

From my experience i wouldn't expect the same conception rate with sexed as you would with traditional. This semen has been handled much more and not near the amount of sperm per straw.

Use traditional semen and sell your steers and use the funds to buy some fancy heifers. You will have money left in your pocket, steers 10 -20 cents higher than heifers.

I've heard of some people retaining ownership of the F1 steers to offset some of the loss, but I don't know if that would be an option for you.

tdc_cattle":eezmx6hu said:
midTN_Brangusman":eezmx6hu said:

I'm thinking cross my beef masters with Charlois. Lots of people with angus bulls to throw on those girls.
Retaining your own calves to feeder weights to graze that acreage would be one of the highest profit per acre propositions I can think of.

You can buy young light bred cows for about killer price, 2-5 months bred. Calve them out and sell as pairs should just about double your money if you have the grass.

RanchMan90":156hw2to said:
tdc_cattle":156hw2to said:
midTN_Brangusman":156hw2to said:

Retaining your own calves to feeder weights to graze that acreage would be one of the highest profit per acre propositions I can think of.

Even at less then a pot load? I've always been under the impression that at fewer then 52 head it's not going to make money

tdc_cattle":1bvb6pgf said:
RanchMan90":1bvb6pgf said:
tdc_cattle":1bvb6pgf said:

Even at less then a pot load? I've always been under the impression that at fewer then 52 head it's not going to make money
It'll just be harder to hedge less than a pot load (I'm still researching that matter myself) Y'all have good markets there as well. As long as they're matching groups they will sell well. The price gap between terminal (char) and black cattle is much smaller at larger weights as feeder cattle. Grass gains on your home raised cattle should be pretty low cost and double the returns of cowcalf on those small acres. Unless your reselling cows as brangusman mentioned.

Latest posts