How to make hay

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
First, get a forecast of clear weather. For me that was Saturday and I started cutting.
Now, get close to 50 acres on the ground and check the forecast. Hmm, slight chances of showers have slipped in there. Still, only 20% and four days away.
Get everything tedded and start raking and baling. Check forecast. Good grief. Now a 60% chance of rain before tomorrow morning.
We won't get it all, but we'll get a lot if every thing holds together.

good luck, i hate hay time...its a constant battle start too finish.. seems no matter how you prepare for it and think you got every angle covered, something gonna bite your ass

john250":1euywarc said:
First, get a forecast of clear weather. For me that was Saturday and I started cutting.
Now, get close to 50 acres on the ground and check the forecast. Hmm, slight chances of showers have slipped in there. Still, only 20% and four days away.
Get everything tedded and start raking and baling. Check forecast. Good grief. Now a 60% chance of rain before tomorrow morning.
We won't get it all, but we'll get a lot if every thing holds together.

We did the same thing. Mowed Saturday, tedded it on Sunday and then we had a 20 minute shower Sunday afternoon. We are going to bale as much of it today before the rain hits. We lost the last field of alfalfa because of rain, hopefully we can save this one.

Jogeephus":3q99eu4a said:
You really ought to change the subject to How to Make Rain

I tried that...didn't work for me this year. It is dry. Seems every rain cloud is squeezing by me this year.

jcummins":e724km8m said:
Jogeephus":e724km8m said:

I tried that...didn't work for me this year. It is dry. Seems every rain cloud is squeezing by me this year.

We tried that this year as well but it seems nothing will bring us rain. Our best hay field that gave us almost 6 bales to the acre gave us less than 2 this year. They predicted crops to be 40% less than average but it is more like 60-70% around here now.

Jogeephus":17lp8qzo said:

You got that right, Jogee. If I had ANY grass to cut i'd sure be out there tryin' to make it rain. We've had less than 9" in almost two years. Guess I'm gonna have to sell out. No hay, ponds dryin' up again, feedin' about a ton of cubes a week but I can't keep that up for very long. Several cows at body condition 2 or less - 'fraid the PETA folks are gonna be after me if I don't get rid of them (read give them away).

I just filled out my State ag survey and in there they stated how fillin out the paperwork was gonna help us farmers! I asked them how the heII that worked. I ain't had no help from those folks - ever. Hadn't asked for none but it would sure help now if they would step up to the plate with a little hay and maybe a water well or two.

Just cryin in my beer. Don't pay no mind.

Latest posts