How to know if a holstein heifer is breedable

Help Support CattleToday:

MAGONZ1969

Reaction score
Hi everyone; i'm hoping someone can help me out there!
I have some holstein heifers that are about one year old and i need to know if they are breedable or not. I bought them last year in november and the gentleman that sold them to me could'nt tell me much about them. I suppose if they can't be bred why keep them any longer. Some people have asked me if they are breedable and I really don't know. Has anyone had a similar situation?

There are only a couple of ways to tell if a heifer is a freemartin. On some there are obvious external indications, some can be checked internally to see if all the plumbing is in place. The ones that are abnormal are obviously not breedable. There are only 2 ways to know for sure, if she breeds and carrys the pregnancy or a blood test that checks for a Y chromosome. If it's there she's infertile.
Search on here for "freemartin" and you'll get more information then you really will care to read

If they can't be bred they can be eaten.

Easiest way to find out would be to run a bull with them when they're of age then any that don't settle are meat. The best timing for eating them corresponds nicely with the time it becomes obvious whether they are/are not pregnant if they're bred at fifteen months.
Or, as Dun said, you can have them tested for freemartinism.

regolith":3ur45u8f said:
If they can't be bred they can be eaten.

Easiest way to find out would be to run a bull with them when they're of age then any that don't settle are meat. The best timing for eating them corresponds nicely with the time it becomes obvious whether they are/are not pregnant if they're bred at fifteen months.

:nod:

before you go to all ble of putting a bull with them.id have them palpated by your vet.an that will tell you if they are breedable heifers or not.

bigbull338":1yrh6i1l said:
before you go to all ble of putting a bull with them.id have them palpated by your vet.an that will tell you if they are breedable heifers or not.
Sometimes yes sometimes no.

Don't you think the prospective buyer just wanted to know if they are big enough to breed yet?

I suggest weighing them first before running them with a bull, they should weigh 750 lbs before you breed them.

Latest posts