How to judge when the cow/steer is ready for processing

Help Support CattleToday:

lead_dog

Reaction score
I have a few beeves that I believe are getting close to ready for processing. I've never judged this before, so I'm not sure. I'm told to look for the brisket to fill out, look for fat around the tail, etc., but I'm not sure what I'm comparing it against, so it's confusing. Below are pictures of three heifers that I believe could be ready within the next month, and I'd appreciate an opinion of what more experienced folks think. I do not have access to a scale.

Angus #127
View attachment 1

Angus #68
View attachment 2

Angus #69

A scale does help me anyhow. How old are they, and what has been your feed program for finishing them? For example "Thay are 16 months old and have been grained heavy the past 3 months/10 weeks." or "they are 18 months and I have grass finished....." See?

16-18 months, completely grass fed on good pasture. Been eating rye grass for the past 2 months, with a mix of fescue, vetch, etc.

Yes, they will be ready. If you are waiting until you see fat deposits on the tail head you may have to grain ~ but that is not desirable to all people. Also, is important to make sure their benefit in having your own freezer beef does not exceed your cost in resources (pasture, grain and time).

I would say yes, they will have reached their potential on that finish in that amount of time.

Enjoy!

from the pics they are getting close tobeing ready to butcher.they should be finished in 2 months on lush pasture.

The first one looks ready now the other 2 might need a few more weels. First one already looks like she has fat deposits around her tailhead and full in the loin.

fat deposits around the tail head are a good indicator and #1 shows that. #2 looks pretty close to ready to...maybe #3 is younger or maybe its the picture, or she will just not finish the same. We process or between 15-18 months (1100-1400lbs), pour the corn to them a few months, and with feed prices the way they are now, they may go sooner. Some of our best beef has come from the lightweights (1200 or less). let us know how it goes. donna

127 looks like she is about ready and 68 looks like she will need the most time to finish. If you are going to feed them corn they will finish in 60 days or less i would say. It will take longer if you want them to be grass fed.

They're not too far off. Some pictures of the back end would be helpful. I'm always looking for the back end to fill out before I butcher.