how to identify bermuda grass????

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
We recently purchased some property that has a hay meadow . There's some bermuda grass in it. The problem is I don't know if it's common or improved of some sort. It's started growing since we've finally had some rain here. At this time there's noseedheads yet. Is there any easy way to ID it???? The lady who owned it previously is 90+ and doesn't remember; her daughter hasn't lived there in 35 years so she doesn't know.

Texas Gal":3utfa9ds said:
I apologize for the confusion - I was thinking more along the lines of testing of some sort.

I'll try to get a good picture of it.

The structure is pretty much the same . leaf width is the main difference. If it was improved and has not been taken care of the common will take over and choke out the improved variety.

Common bermuda runs a wide berth of type, height, leaf, production, quality, ... Some can look close to the old (original) coastal bermuda. Other end of spectrum - sorry for grazing at best.

Common is good for your lawn in drought prone areas where St. Augustine doesn't like the soil PH or moisture level. At least around here, it is a short growing grass, seldom gets up high enough to roll for hay, great survivability rate due to deep roots, good livestock grazing, good nutrition.

Coastal has been the standby for many 10's of years. Has to be planted, grows tall and thick with proper management,makes great hay/grazing, good nutrition, very equine digestible.

Tifton 85 is becoming more popular and some BTOs have some very large commercial haying operations. I never ran it so can't comment further. I was going to get some "sprigged" while a crew was over this way doing a BTO place but declined. Why? Dunno?????

Texasmark":27268i83 said:
Common is good for your lawn in drought prone areas where St. Augustine doesn't like the soil PH or moisture level. At least around here, it is a short growing grass, seldom gets up high enough to roll for hay, great survivability rate due to deep roots, good livestock grazing, good nutrition.

Coastal has been the standby for many 10's of years. Has to be planted, grows tall and thick with proper management,makes great hay/grazing, good nutrition, very equine digestible.

Tifton 85 is becoming more popular and some BTOs have some very large commercial haying operations. I never ran it so can't comment further. I was going to get some "sprigged" while a crew was over this way doing a BTO place but declined. Why? Dunno?????

I planted this whole place in common years ago. Made good pasture fast, I knew Bahia would win out over time and did. Planted Red River as a test. Now Red River is smothering out the Bahia.

You are over there in Sandy Loam. I'm in Houston Black Clay. Night and day! Only thing my soil is good for is things like Cotton, Sorghum-Sudan, deep rooted Coastal, and other crops that like to grow during the hot summer months. It retains moisture in the root zone as good as anything. (Opinion based on BTDT)

Over the years I have leveled my lawn numerous times with Sandy Loam and you can easily tell where I did it. The SL on the surface, isolates the clay from the sun, assists it in retaining it's moisture and the grass thrives, especially ST A. Even though I am slightly alkaline, the SL may push me over the center and put me into the acid region and grasses may like that better. Course root development is much easier/faster in the looser soil.

Caustic Burno":32jkmgso said:
Texasmark":32jkmgso said:

I planted this whole place in common years ago. Made good pasture fast, I knew Bahia would win out over time and did. Planted Red River as a test. Now Red River is smothering out the Bahia.

What's "Red River"?

Rafter S":37nnfb4e said:
Caustic Burno":37nnfb4e said:
Texasmark":37nnfb4e said:

What's "Red River"?

Crabgrass.

I called OSU and asked this question once and was told there is absolutely no test to determine variety. You can pretty much tell the common from the hay varieties, as the improved grows much more "upright." However I have Coastal in a field directly beside Midland 99 and I can't see any difference in the two.

A good extension agent should be able to look at it and tell you.

Locals have had trouble getting 85 established here, even when sprigging under pivots and follow recommendations from UGA. Really don't know why. But if you ever get it established you've got something. It will flat turn out the tonnage. Lot of Alicia here. My preference for my neck of the woods is Russell.

okiek":1zm7wuc6 said:
I called OSU and asked this question once and was told there is absolutely no test to determine variety. You can pretty much tell the common from the hay varieties, as the improved grows much more "upright." However I have Coastal in a field directly beside Midland 99 and I can't see any difference in the two.
Disagree the eyeball doesn't lie. Put both in a field and you can tell...BTDT

Texasmark":2pgwqrg7 said:
okiek":2pgwqrg7 said:
Disagree. Put both in a field and you can tell; at least I can...BTDT

Latest posts