how to help a skinny cow gain weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on helping a skinny cow gain weight? Especially when she has been nursing,and other cows have been stealing milk.And supplements or grains that would be helpful?

Sorry for not being clearer,she is a cow and she is letting her calf nurse,and other calves have been stealing milk as well.
She is also really old.

well outside of keeping her wormed reg, i would give her a few shots of B12 a few days apart to get her appetite going and energy. grain her i would use a 13 percent protein myself and get those other calves off her. ;-)

Amen! Isolate the "skinny" cow and do not let other calves nurse her! After isolating her (w/HER calf, if not weaned) and feed her separately. It will take time for her to regain her proper condition.

Brush hog girl (I love that name),

Whenever I have a cow drop to a BCS of 4 or lower, I seperate them, worm them, and put them in the best pasture that I have. But timing is everything. How skiny is she?

While I want all of my cows BCS 5 or higher, if one or two drops to a 4, it's not that big of a deal (a 3, in my opinion, would be a big problem). I only really worry about them a few months before they calve, and the 90 days thereafter, so that she rebreeds quickly. Some cows will be more skiny than others (I call them culls). If a cow is a BCS 6 when she calves, she can get settled quickly, and then coast a little on her reserves.

Caustic Burno":3blt28z2 said:
Treat her for hollow tail. :shock:
:lol: I thought that was just for the teenagers, works for the older ones too huh.

Latest posts