How to graze wheat?

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":1h6b3n4i said:
:2cents: You definitely need to get it up and established well. I like to only have to move them once a week or so. So I'll split the field with a hot wire and move em from 1 side back and forth. With 2 days off between the swap when their on hay. I also keep a roll of hay accessible at all times. Their pretty good for the most part at going to the hay on their own when they start getting loose and gassy. :2cents:

How many head per acre are you stocking? I've got a 1/1 ratio, and pull them off everyday for fear of them walking it down. Would be really nice to string up a few fences and move them less. Mine is also irrigated, but that kinda compounds the trampling issue.

Kingfisher":1h6b3n4i said:
How do you "pull em off" a good wheat field?

I've only had luck with driving them off with a couple of horses. Mine turn their nose up at cubes when oats and rye are around. After three or four times they seem to get with the program. That first week is a headache.

Kingfisher":mb455ayw said:
How do you "pull em off" a good wheat field?

I've only had luck with driving them off with a couple of horses. Mine turn their nose up at cubes when oats and rye are around. After three or four times they seem to get with the program. That first week is a headache.[/quote]

Run the cows with a 4 wheeler till they find the gate. When the cows tongues are hanging out they'll leave the field. And after 2 or 3 times of doing this the cows will be waiting at the gate when they hear the 4 wheeler coming. I will even use a hot shot on the cows that stop. A cow will figure you out quickly.

I told you so....I think like Fence it helps to have some good hay with the oats or rye to give em some dry matter. Put the bales and there water right by the pasture swap fence and it's easy peazy unless their black....;)

Latest posts