How To Give Injections

Help Support CattleToday:

Being relitively new to this cattle thing, That is a very informitive link. Thank you very much.

Unfortunately the buyer assumes that the knot is due to an antibiotic and not a vacc, so the cattle are actually discounted.

Maybe some education to the buyers should be done not just the producers.. ;-)

Thanks for the link Nova..

That is a good reference! I don't mind giving SubQ shots at all, but to this day when I give a shot IM, I just wait for the calf to fall over dead or be paralyzed. In a horse that muscle stands out so defined, but I worry when I give the IM shots to calves that I will accidentally inject into a vein (I know @ pulling back the plunger), or that I am going to somehow interfere with the spine. Its just one of those things. I have had the vet show me a bunch of times, but it is helpful for me to see it again (and again, and again :oops: ).

Santas and Duhram Reds":21h45jgv said:
To help avoid the knot I try to rub the vaccine in after administering the shot.

I give it in the fold of skin right where the front leg joins the body. Easy to give, she can't move as much and it is a very active part of the cows body reducing chances of soreness or swelling.

angie":5fxxp913 said:
That is a good reference! I don't mind giving SubQ shots at all, but to this day when I give a shot IM, I just wait for the calf to fall over dead or be paralyzed. In a horse that muscle stands out so defined, but I worry when I give the IM shots to calves that I will accidentally inject into a vein (I know @ pulling back the plunger), or that I am going to somehow interfere with the spine. Its just one of those things. I have had the vet show me a bunch of times, but it is helpful for me to see it again (and again, and again :oops: ).

And I do not believe that for a second, you know what you are doing.. :D

I give it in the fold of skin right where the front leg joins the body. Easy to give, she can't move as much and it is a very active part of the cows body reducing chances of soreness or swelling.

We know some tricks that are best not shared.. :lol2:

CKC1586":dd36zfmd said:
TexasBred":dd36zfmd said:
Guess I better not even mention giving them in the fold of skin on each side of the tail. :lol2:
Really? No lumps?? I like this idea....

Nope..just lift the tail a bit and there is that "target" on each side of the tail head.

TexasBred":2mgax0de said:
CKC1586":2mgax0de said:
TexasBred":2mgax0de said:
Guess I better not even mention giving them in the fold of skin on each side of the tail. :lol2:
Really? No lumps?? I like this idea....

Nope..just lift the tail a bit and there is that "target" on each side of the tail head.
Well, that seems to make more sense that trying to find that magic triangle on their necks and tenting the skin and....all that fuss....gonna have to try that next time I have to do a sq.

Latest posts