How to get your operation started

Help Support CattleToday:

The combined age of all my equipment is about 400 years, and I don't have all that much equipment..

The wooden posts between my hi-tensile are spaced so far apart that you can barely tell there's a fence until you right up on it.

I re-use nails if they're stiff stock and aren't bent too bad. New nails suck anyway..

If I take the time to wire something up with hi-tensile and a twist tool, I consider it to be a permanent solution.

I'll go to the trouble of buying a used set of tires for $150 every 25K miles instead of buying a new set for $400 every 50K..

I've been known to wedge and tamp big limestone rocks around posts when I didn't want to spend $5 in gas on a $4 bag of quickrete.. Takes a while, but they hold just about as well if you're stout enough to really drive them in there..

Most of my pipe gates were the previous owner's throwaways.. He stacked them up in the barn to toss out, then left them. I recovered a bunch of gate pins from posts in the barn with a 3/4" box end wrench and about a half a can of PB blaster -- voila.. Free gates.

I'm pretty much a tightwad. :lol: