How to get rid of armadillos?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Anyone have great advise on how to get rid of armadillos? Other than shooting them; we don't often see them during the day. Just searching the web it appears setting traps are the preferred method but do they really work? Has anyone ever tried Armadillo Scram or some other repellent? They have completely destroyed the alfalfa field & our yard. Hate them!

I've never been able to even trap one. Always had to go out at night with a flashlight and shoot the things.

M-5":2s0k7p4x said:
Good yard dog. One good thing about the pain in rear donkey I got I find a dead one in pasture or woods. I have not seen one around my house in at least 4 yrs ,
That's the one animal Obie doesn't really mess with. He's caught them before but I haven't seen him kill them.

TCRanch":22d7rwpa said:
Anyone have great advise on how to get rid of armadillos? Other than shooting them; we don't often see them during the day. Just searching the web it appears setting traps are the preferred method but do they really work? Has anyone ever tried Armadillo Scram or some other repellent? They have completely destroyed the alfalfa field & our yard. Hate them!

If you can find the trail to the hole they will walk right into a live trap.
They do not like moth balls that is what I use when they hit my yard.
It is a temporary fix as long as the moth balls last.
You could also use an insecticide as you have Lubby's set up for them.

Caustic Burno":1kkdqkwj said:
TCRanch":1kkdqkwj said:

If you can find the trail to the hole they will walk right into a live trap.
They do not like moth balls that is what I use when they hit my yard.
It is a temporary fix as long as the moth balls last.
You could also use an insecticide as you have Lubby's set up for them.
Do you put the moth balls in the holes or the along the perimeter of the house? The yard is a mess but they're primarily trenching all along the house, sidewalk, landscaping, etc.

True Grit Farms":18igkvek said:
A bull dog, no animals survive that come in my yard. Found a goose last week that was a first.
I don't want anything to kill them.
Any animal that feeds on yellow jackets is a protected species here.

TCRanch":38gxx2nh said:

Odds are the armadillos are giving you trouble because your grass is well fertilized which in turn invites grubs and mole crickets which the armadillos eat. To rid yourself of the armadillos you need to rid yourself of these insects. Next time you fertilize you can mix Mocap with your fertilizer and this will kill the grubs and mole crickets. Remove the food and the armadillos will leave.

Use the wooden box trap but guide the armadillo in with wooden wings. 16' boards spread about 12' wide at the top leading to the opening in the box trap. The armadillo hits the wing and is funneled to the opening of the box trap. It works.

M-5":3d7yn8dx said:
Good yard dog. One good thing about the pain in rear donkey I got I find a dead one in pasture or woods. I have not seen one around my house in at least 4 yrs ,
Use to have a rottweiler that would crush them like eggs.

Son of Butch":2vlmz1tq said:
:idea: Roads!
Build a couple of hi-ways crisscrossing your farm and armadillo road kill should pile up in no time. :banana:
Problem solved... you're :welcome:
Had a guy tell me that was the real reason the chicken crossed the road......just to show the armadillo that it could be done. :lol:

TrueGrit's bullet behind the ear is a failsafe, 100% tried and true method. (I cheat and use a 20ga with # 1s. )
Or, just walk out in the yard with a pair of good gloves on and pick 'em up by the tail. I dispatched a whole family of them like that one night, with an ax. They're interesting but incredibly stupid little bastards.

Latest posts