How to get calm calves on show day

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I need some help with my show calves.
I know how to break them to lead but it just seems that every time we walk them into the barn or ring they go bazerk! Any ideas of what I can do to get calm calves that will lead easy in the ring?

Consult your doctor on proper dosage.

valiumxanax.jpg

Crashedprincess":26csfe70 said:
That is not really any help. Would you please explain?
Sorry, just trying to make a joke.

I was implying if you could not calm the cattle, you could take a pill to calm yourself.

There are a number of folks on here that show, and they'll come along and offer some serious suggestions. Good luck and welcome to CT.

Here's a couple of things that usually help:
1. Leave a radio on in the barn, all the time they are in if possible
2. Have family help work them, even if it is just brushing or blowing
3. Load them up and drive around the block once or twice a week
Plenty of other ideas along the same theme. The idea is simply to desensitize them. Getting them used to the sounds and sights of a show while at home is key. It even helps to get them used to your good feed pans and buckets beforehand. We even have a big old stroller in the barn that gets pushed around by my daughter, just so they don't freak out the first time they see one. Anything that you can do to reduce the stress of all the new things they will experience will help them stay calm and eat and drink well at your shows.

I've never shown, but I found having bells on them gets them used to sounds close by.

What they really need is to learn about people,.. to some it's natural, and to others, well, they'll just only like you. I have a whole family of cows that LOVE anyone who comes along, and another cow I have, I can milk, ride, lead all with no problems whatsoever, but she just hates people... my mother can't even get close to her without 'bribes' of apples or whatnot, and that is only for as long as her mouth is full.

Thanks! We go have a radio on for them for most of the time and we walk them around but the moving them in the trailor is a good idea

Most calves are nervous at their first show, once they get used to the surroundings they tend to calm down, if you are trying to take the edge off of one try one of the things listed below, either will work on most calves and it is not something that will hurt them or illegal. I prefer the first.
Melatonin 100mg (33 3 mg pills) ground up and put in their feed, start before you leave for the show.
Sullivan's Calf Calm, follow the direction on the tube. Like it was implied by HDRider, if you get wound up before the show the animal will as well.

The real work starts at home if you work them every day, moving from one area to the next, have other activities going on in the barn, feed them at the same time every day and then feed them the same at the show.

If your calf gets wound up use the melatonin if it just get nervous and overly aware, try moving and stalling with an animal that is easier going, the buddy system works well.

Stay calm, figure out what winds them up and get ahead of it, most of the time you can feel them tense up, once you feel it diffuse the situation (move them away, turn them, shorten up on the lead or tie them up real quick so they can get over it)

Latest posts