how to get a cow to wear a halter

Help Support CattleToday:

Miranysmum

Reaction score
:help: i was wondering if there was a proper way to train my 3 year old black angus heifer to wear a headstall. :oops: she is really quiet and lets me get one on her but then wont walk with it on :( ....she keeps trying to rub it of while i try and lead her....any tips would be greatly appreciated!! ;-)
thanks from
Miranysmum

Put the halter on her, and I would tie a rope to it that drags the ground. (that way you can just pick it up whenever you want to get ahold of her, if shes difficult)
Also, tie her up with the halter on a fence for periods of time while you are there, while you take something like an old fishing pole and rub it over her neck, back, legs, and belly.

Although 3 yr. old is kinda late to start one on halter, I'm not sayin it can't be done.

Like mike said, tie her to a post for periods at a time.

this is all new to her, so yeah shes gonna fight it.

tie her up to a strong post and let her fight it. i usually only need to give slack the first couple of times. then tie her so her head is up so she learns that. then once shes calm enough i would hose her down and brush her to help calm and relax her. then i would walk her around a little bit. try as hard as you can not to let her lose. if she figures that she can, she will. just give her tiem and patience. i bet she'll come around.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1k9rl94p said:
....I would make sure that I tie her low so that if she needs to lay down she can without straining her neck. I also tie low so that in case they go down it doesnt hurt their neck and what not.

I've never tried to halter-break a 3 year old heifer, but I do know that tying horses low tends to result in neck injuries if they start fighting being tied - would this not be true for cattle, too?

Be careful what you tie her to. Make sure it is nothing she can impale herself on. If it is something she can go over, like a gate, do not give her enough rope to hang herself. Be careful that she doesn't step one leg over the rope if you are tying low, she could injure her leg (I would avoid tying low, JMO). Tie with something that can be cut, like a sturdy rope. Chains often times get to tight to unhook in a desperate situation. Have something with you to cut the rope before you start ~ having to run looking for one when you need it RIGHT NOW sucks. Don't leave her alone during the teaching process. IF you use a chain through the halter, bring it under her chin, not over her nose. Good luck!

I do agree with angie... do NOT leave her alone while she is tied up. Be with her.. and as Cattleluvr said, walk around her.. hose her down.. you need to be present alot of the time since you are the one that is going to be showing her.
It will be generally harder to do since she is a 3 yr old, but she should come around.

Use a chain style control halter, with a long lead rope. Let her wear that for the first several days. Every time she steps on the lead, it will jerk her head. After this period, you should start tieing her up, both head up and head down. Work up to 2 hours morning and night. Do this in a small pipe pen, so she can't go very far. After the session is over, lead her to food and water. This is a basic description of a procedure that has to be adapted to each animal. Sometimes if they're real spooky, you can do it inside a trailer. Keep you and the lead outside the trailer. 3 year is going to be difficult just because of her size. We start our own calves before they're weaned. Lot's easier that way. Safety tip, don't wrap lead rope around your hand or any other body part. Also, if she tries to run off, don't try and stop her, pull her head over from the side. You can also do this if she won't walk. Pull her head sideways.

alight...all this advise will really help.....but i really dont think i am going to have any chance of controling her due to her strength and stubboness. but ill give it a go....wish me luck!!! :shock:

I am confused . . . is the heifer broke and just doesn't like having a halter on and wont walk for you? Or is she semi-broke in that you can get a halter on her but havent progressed to tying and leading yet?

If she's already broke but wont walk, then you need to get someone to walk behind to keep her moving.

If she's broken in already but just wont keep the halter on when she's turned out, then dont leave it on her - you said she's easy to catch anyway.

If she's not broken in and you are wanting to break her in now - she's old and big but its not impossible. Do it the same way you would do a younger animal, but slower. Follow the advice of the people who have already posted here. And although I say it is possible, I wouldnt recommend a beginner who hasnt broken in cattle before, so if that is you find a friend who can help you out.

Keren":230y0ths said:
I am confused . . . is the heifer broke and just doesn't like having a halter on and wont walk for you? Or is she semi-broke in that you can get a halter on her but havent progressed to tying and leading yet?

If she's already broke but wont walk, then you need to get someone to walk behind to keep her moving.

If she's broken in already but just wont keep the halter on when she's turned out, then dont leave it on her - you said she's easy to catch anyway.

If she's not broken in and you are wanting to break her in now - she's old and big but its not impossible. Do it the same way you would do a younger animal, but slower. Follow the advice of the people who have already posted here. And although I say it is possible, I wouldnt recommend a beginner who hasnt broken in cattle before, so if that is you find a friend who can help you out.

Well i didn't break her in at all really. We got her when she was about 6 months old and she was just fairly quiet....so i hand fed her for a while and now she is just realyy tame. i can get a halter on her but she doesnt really like it and wont walk with it on at all.... does that explain it a bit better?

Yes, now I understand better.

Just wondering, does she follow you around a lot?

If so, you may be able to coax her into following you while you have her on the halter - dont put any pressure on the lead at first. Then you can gradually put a bit of pressure on the lead until she is used to it.

If not - then you will have to break her the conventional way if you really want her to lead. It is difficult, but possible. Like I said before, if this is the first animal you have broken in, I would suggest getting a bit of help from someone experienced.

Keren":vihte3d2 said:
Yes, now I understand better.

Just wondering, does she follow you around a lot?

If so, you may be able to coax her into following you while you have her on the halter - dont put any pressure on the lead at first. Then you can gradually put a bit of pressure on the lead until she is used to it.

If not - then you will have to break her the conventional way if you really want her to lead. It is difficult, but possible. Like I said before, if this is the first animal you have broken in, I would suggest getting a bit of help from someone experienced.

she follows me around a bit...especially if i have food but once i get the halter on her she tries to rub it off on me..... i might be able to get her to behave if i have some hay or something though..... ok ill give it a go! thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts