How to figure...

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
I know there is a formula for the carrying capacity, just trying to narrow it down.
Here is what I know: on May 1st, we cut a 13 acre pasture and got 49 1/2 4 x 5.5 bales that averaged 1050 pounds. Then, on 7/31 we rotated 22 cows and 8 spring calves on to that pasture. We use MIG, so we just pulled the group off the last strip on 9/4. How can I figure out how much grass has been removed from the field? The reason I wanted to know is because that is a field we did a little test study on. Last fall, half of the field was planted in annual rye and red clover, no tilled over the existing fescue that took a hit from the drought. The other half of the field was planted in Orchard grass and the red clover. I am trying to figure how much it improved the holding capacity of the field. I did not keep accurate records in the past, only what we baled off the pasture in the spring of the last few years. We are now stockpiling the field for this winter.

I took a Wildlife Biology course decades ago and there was a chapter on carrying capacity. I know there were a lot of metrics related to that subject all the way down to mice. I bet there is a formula that you will find in a google search.

Latest posts