How to figure out supplement after forage test

Help Support CattleToday:

SmallOhioFarm

Reaction score
We have seven beef cows, and one heifer. All of the cows have calves (all from march except one), and are breed as is the heifer. They all got pretty skinny from the calves and now I need them to gain some. We only have 4 acres of pasture and about 3 acres of woods area for them. They get free choice minerals. I bought the hay for the year and got it tested.

As is basis / Dry basis

Moisture 8.59
dry matter 91.41
crude protein 7.33 / 8.02
digestable protein 4.51 / 4.93
fiber 33.55 / 36.70
TDN 52.2 / 57.1
ENE 35.12 / 38.42
NE (Gain) .23 / .25
NE (Lactation) .53 / .58
Digestible Energy 1.04 / 1.14

Calcium 2.23 / 2.440
Phosphorus .285 / .312
Potassium 2.31 / 2.527
Magnesium 1.17 / 1.28

Iron 179 / 195.8
Manganese 316 / 345.7
Copper 10.4 / 11.4
Zinc 19.2 / 21

Neutral Detergent Fiber 59.22 / 64.79
Acid Detergent Fiber 40.39 / 44.19

Relative Feed Value / 78.21

Ive done a lot of searching and I've found what they recommend but not how to achieve it. SO, How do you figure out what you need to use to supplement them to get the protein up to what they require. Would just protein tubs work? range cubes? grain? My wife and I do feed them a little ground corn and soymeal (12% protein the same I feed the feeders) everyday just so they come around, so maybe increase that? How much? Im looking for the most practicable way to supplement them.

Around here its cheaper to feed 33% cubes than to feed tubs by about .50/head/day. Grain is almost always more expensive unless you're finishing them for the butcher. It may be cheaper up there for you to just buy better hay.

That's pretty poor hay but if you can find a feed company that makes a 38-40% cube give them about 4 lbs. per head per day along with the hay free choice. That should give them close to a 10% ration. If you think they need more give them another pound of cubes. Also put out a bag of a good high quality mineral for free choice consumption.

SmallOhioFarm":1vr3kjkf said:
Thanks for the advise. Is there a formula that you use to come up with this or is it just experience?
Just a mental and very "rounded off" calculation. 26 lbs. of the hay at 7.4% protein would give you approx. 190 protein units. 4 lbs. of 40% cubes would give you 160 protein units....total 345 protein units in 30 lbs. of feed.....350/30=11.66% ration. ( I was off a bit) Keep in mind this is just an estimate as we don't know what the hay intake will actually be.

TexasBred":x6p6ahtq said:
SmallOhioFarm":x6p6ahtq said:
Thanks for the advise. Is there a formula that you use to come up with this or is it just experience?
Just a mental and very "rounded off" calculation. 26 lbs. of the hay at 7.4% protein would give you approx. 190 protein units. 4 lbs. of 40% cubes would give you 160 protein units....total 345 protein units in 30 lbs. of feed.....350/30=11.66% ration. ( I was off a bit) Keep in mind this is just an estimate as we don't know what the hay intake will actually be.

Hay intake is figured by size of cow, right?

SmallOhioFarm":30h3u4kf said:
TexasBred":30h3u4kf said:
SmallOhioFarm":30h3u4kf said:

and quality......consumption drops as digestablilty falls.

SmallOhioFarm":3lop16d2 said:
TexasBred":3lop16d2 said:
SmallOhioFarm":3lop16d2 said:

In a word "NO". If you know the weight of the hay she ate and how much she weighed before eating it you could calculate what % . She might eat 25 lbs. and she might eat 45 lbs. depending on a lot of factors.

Im not trying to argue. I have considered 8% protein hay to be pretty good...for a mature cow at least. It won't put any weight on which I know is what your trying to do. But if I have hay of that quality and cows are going into winter in good condition, I don't supliment. With the price of grain and calves....have you considered early weaning? Even if you keep the calves. I have seen studies where is cheaper to feed both seperate, than push feed through the cow and have her feed the calf and gain weight.

Amo 8% hay will work. They just have to eat more of it to meet their nutritional needs and work a little harder to digest it but cattle are eating machines so intake is seldom a probelm as long as we make it available. I've tested a lot of hay over the years and seems 8-9% is more the norm than the exception no matter how it was fertilized or when it was cut.

Amo - Yes, we are going to pull the calves this weekend because I'm worried at how thin the cow's got. I'd rather spend a little extra on feed for the calves (we finish them anyways) and be able to just focus on getting the cow's back to what they should be. - - - Next year I will get the hay tested sooner and not just go off of how it looks. lesson learned !!!!

I seem to be having a heck of a time locating anyone around me that sells "range cubes" is there another name for them? Maybe a brand I can look up to find dealers?

Cake is what its called here. 32% cube...bout 3/4 in dia etc. I would think they would have that in Ohio. Anyplace that sells pelleted stuff should have cubes.

TB, so what % hay is optimum in your openion. What Ive always been told is if you have 8% and BCS of 5 your good to go. Ill agree if its higher % you can feed less. For my "wild" or native prairie hay (red top, red/white clover, timothy, etc.) its awfully hard to get much above 8%. In the same token I know you can meet there needs with protein and not fill the cows up either. Some people limit fed them the last time we had a drought. Crabby cows, but they held their condition.

Amo":3vivpc4p said:
Cake is what its called here. 32% cube...bout 3/4 in dia etc. I would think they would have that in Ohio. Anyplace that sells pelleted stuff should have cubes.

TB, so what % hay is optimum in your openion. What Ive always been told is if you have 8% and BCS of 5 your good to go. Ill agree if its higher % you can feed less. For my "wild" or native prairie hay (red top, red/white clover, timothy, etc.) its awfully hard to get much above 8%. In the same token I know you can meet there needs with protein and not fill the cows up either. Some people limit fed them the last time we had a drought. Crabby cows, but they held their condition.
10-12%% with high TDN would be great. Anymore protein than that is a waste IF you are feeding free choice. I know most of the hay I feed isn't that good so i too supplement with some cubes just to be on the safe side. Seldom have I seen a cow not fill up if hay is available but a huge % of it is undigestible.

Latest posts