How to contain a cow

Help Support CattleToday:

nycowgirl

Reaction score
I need some ideas for a way to make something to contain a cow for treatment, exams, etc. So far I've only had to treat the calves and I can use a rope halter and snub them to the fence. Any ideas would be appreciated. I would be setting this up in the barn in a large open area where the cattle congregate at feeding time as that is my best chance to direct them into a smaller area.

Thanks for your imput!

fyi- i mean this in a helpful way

a corral and chute?

I guess I am looking for a way to do a type of "squeeze chute". We only run about 20 head, and right now purchasing a squeeze chute is out of the question.

Build or buy a headgate. Mount it securely and attach a heavy duty gate to one side and a permanent wall on the other. Better yet, a gate on each side.

dun

Like you, I only have a small herd and they're very gentle girls. I have a Sweep Tub and attached alley way that has been without a doubt, the best $$ I've ever spent. For routine worming and vacs, I just put them into the alleyway (jammed in so they can't move much) and stick away. If I do need to squeeze a single animal, then I "squeeze" her between the sweep tub gate and the straight wall (with the entrance to the alley way blocked up) of the tub part, then throw a halter on her and snub her short to the pivot point of the gate and wall to hold her head. I'll throw a heavy metal bar behind her, then do what I need to. So far it has worked on pulling a calf, milking a not so cooperative mama, and doctoring some hairy heal warts. Anything bigger, I haul to the vet. Chance are if I have to hold them in that tight, its a bigger job than what I can handle by myself. Did that make any sense? Basically, its "squeezing" them in between a gate and a wall, with their head tied to where the gate hinges the wall.

nycowgirl":a33ve3gy said:
I guess I am looking for a way to do a type of "squeeze chute". We only run about 20 head, and right now purchasing a squeeze chute is out of the question.

A chute is, IMHO, the only option. You can get a decent used one at an auction for $750, but they are a bargain at new prices. If you don't have one, you won't do the vaccinating etc. that you should do to maintain a healthy herd. I regret not buying one when I first got cattle.

TR":2hfgpk2x said:
Did that make any sense? Basically, its "squeezing" them in between a gate and a wall, with their head tied to where the gate hinges the wall.

That's how I do mine too. Much anything under 500-600lbs I'll just rope and snub, over and I use the gate/fence arrangement. Once they get too big they stop closing their little calf-eyes in fear as I approach with the vaccinations...and start fighting. So I'll push a gate up against them and that's worked fine for everything I've had to deal with. Not much, mind you, just a couple wild nurse cows. LOL.

Medina Hinge - two gates about 18" apart in a 9' alleyway. I've had everything in it from a 300lb calf to a very, very, mad 1000 lb cow. Only cost a few hundred dollars to build the gates if you already have some type of pens and alleyway.

medinahinge1.jpg

Thanks for the great replies! I happen to have a boyfriend who welds, so TXBobcat's idea may work well for us. Thanks again.

I'll assume the "NY" in your name means your in New York? If your anywhere near south central Missouri I have an old but very usable headgate I don't need and you could have that.

I work my cattle alone and used to do it with just a headgate but now having a squeeze chute I really can't imagaine how the heck I lived without one. Guess I'll just consider myself spoiled.

I will offer up the headgate to anyone else in the area. Only catch is ya' got to come and get it, my generosity only goes so far :D !

J

EIEIO":2yxxw8th said:
I'll assume the "NY" in your name means your in New York? If your anywhere near south central Missouri I have an old but very usable headgate I don't need and you could have that.

I work my cattle alone and used to do it with just a headgate but now having a squeeze chute I really can't imagaine how the heck I lived without one. Guess I'll just consider myself spoiled.

I will offer up the headgate to anyone else in the area. Only catch is ya' got to come and get it, my generosity only goes so far :D !

J

What a nice offer. I wish I lived closer.

NYCOWGIRL - since you live in NY, surely there are some dairy farms near you. Visit one & see if you can get an old wooden head gate from them or several. Mount them in the barn & feed your cow thru them. Pretty soon, you will be able to lock them in & then have a gate that you can snub them up & vaccinate.
But, as said, without proper facilities, your cattle will suffer not receiving routine heath management - let alone having a calving problem or sick cow.
If you are anywhere close, you can come by & see what we have done with an old dairy barn. We do have a work chute, but our system is simple & can be build out of wood/or pipe.
Check your PM

TXBobcat,

Brilliant! You can work a small herd. Have the unworked ones on one side, and after you "squeeze" one, open the far gate and send it to the other side. :D

BTW, where did you get the idea?

Brett

BH":148j9ya8 said:
TXBobcat,

BTW, where did you get the idea?

Brett

This type of setup (or some variation of it) is pretty common in the Longhorn world. They do make custom made Longhorn chutes, but they are expensive. I built this one for the man I work for because he did not want to spend the big bucks to buy one. I just incorporated it into the 9' alleyway in our pens. You are right, we can load the allweyway, work an animal, an then turn it out the other side. It will work for polled cattle as well.