How to catch a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

"Get yourself a few panels, and put them up in one of the corners of your pasture, making a small pen. Be sure to panel against the fence so it doesn't slip thru. Walk this calf down the fence line slow and easy,(with momma if you can) right into the corner, close it up."

Textbook! Love this. It should happen just like this!

Slow and easy...
How many friends do you have that can form a human fence and slowly move the fence to the gate.
Keep us advised of this undertaking.
DMc

CowpokeJ":1y77uxe8 said:
"Get yourself a few panels, and put them up in one of the corners of your pasture, making a small pen. Be sure to panel against the fence so it doesn't slip thru. Walk this calf down the fence line slow and easy,(with momma if you can) right into the corner, close it up."

'Should' and 'does' often prove to be worlds apart, however. :lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't met a calf (or cow, for that matter) that couldn't and wouldn't go through the tightest fence given a little 'encouragement'.

LonghornR - I understand - now. Your first post came across as a newbie with no facilities - VERY irratating to think of cattle owners with no facilities.
Shooting & eating sounds like best option.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":5000dy9b said:
LonghornR - I understand - now. Your first post came across as a newbie with no facilities - VERY irratating to think of cattle owners with no facilities.
Shooting & eating sounds like best option.

Longhorn wasnt the orignal poster. He was just giving an example of why he doesnt, and someone else may not, have facilities in all their pastures; as well as some advice on how to capture the wayword calf.

Jeanne - you may have been spot on for the original poster.

Its to late now to tell them what they should have done. All anybody can do is help them with the current problem and give direction on how to prevent it from occuring again, ie: build facilites.

My personal opinion is the portable cattle panels cowpoke mentioned. They are a very cheap and effective solution for these circumstances.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":mwim0ge0 said:
3MR - you're right! Libeerated was the original poster - and guess what - he/she never responded back. We're talking to ourselves. Don't you just love it!

:lol:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2xspy4xb said:
3MR - you're right! Libeerated was the original poster - and guess what - he/she never responded back. We're talking to ourselves. Don't you just love it!

Probably out trying to catch the calf!!! :)

msscamp":3qv44baz said:
CowpokeJ":3qv44baz said:

'Should' and 'does' often prove to be worlds apart, however. :lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't met a calf (or cow, for that matter) that couldn't and wouldn't go through the tightest fence given a little 'encouragement'.

Msscamp, I was quoting Bmoss off an earlier post, I'm with you, that calf is going to go everywhere except where he's supposed to. Specially, through a fence. Murphy's law!

CowpokeJ":ddh9pgrt said:
msscamp":ddh9pgrt said:
CowpokeJ":ddh9pgrt said:

Msscamp, I was quoting Bmoss off an earlier post, I'm with you, that calf is going to go everywhere except where he's supposed to. Specially, through a fence. Murphy's law!

Guess I got confused because there was no name attached to the original quote part. Sorry. :oops: Yeah, Murphy's law + a calf's ingenuity and it's pretty much over except for the cussing and chasing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

msscamp":zqh9bcmu said:
CowpokeJ":zqh9bcmu said:
msscamp":zqh9bcmu said:
CowpokeJ":zqh9bcmu said:

Guess I got confused because there was no name attached to the original quote part. Sorry. :oops: Yeah, Murphy's law + a calf's ingenuity and it's pretty much over except for the cussing and chasing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In this heat, the only thing the calf would get from me would be a cussing...it could run to he11 and back before I'd chase it.

Alice

Alice":17f44cd5 said:
msscamp":17f44cd5 said:
CowpokeJ":17f44cd5 said:
msscamp":17f44cd5 said:
CowpokeJ":17f44cd5 said:

In this heat, the only thing the calf would get from me would be a cussing...it could run to he11 and back before I'd chase it.

Alice

I mean no disrepect nor slur, and I could very well be wrong, but I'm thinking that statement right there delineates hobby rancher from rancher.

angus guy i kno EXACTLY what u r talkin about cept here its called catch a calf. ITS TERRIBLE!!! when i did it i got trampled. i ended up with a broken nose and i had buises on my back and on my face the shape of calf hooves. plz dont encurage it!

This is a dead horse, but let me get my saddle, I'll ride with you. ;-) In fact if that calf is still running amuck, I'll get my gun. :lol: :lol:
Mac

Latest posts