How to catch a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Libeerated

Reaction score
I have a calf that is three months old and weighs about 200 lbs. I have sold it to someone, but now cannot catch it in the field to get it into my trailer. I have tried to corner it and chase it into the trailer, but it is very quick and fast. Any suggestions?

you can overheat one this time of year chasing it all over creation, short of portable panels or roping it. you might dart it with a light dose too slow it down

Is this calf on its momma? If so get the mom up and the calf will come. I assume you have some sort of cattle pen to put them in so you can back the trailer up to it? If not like alacowman said, rope it or drug it.

Feed always works better than putting pressure on cows, if you can let them calm down and get them in a corral with some feed, then it will be easier to load them up. The more you push them the harder it gets.

A scared animal will never do what you want them to do, they will hurt you and them if they are afraid.

Libeerated":2dr8ajc5 said:
I have a calf that is three months old and weighs about 200 lbs. I have sold it to someone, but now cannot catch it in the field to get it into my trailer. I have tried to corner it and chase it into the trailer, but it is very quick and fast. Any suggestions?

You have cattle and no infrastructure?

Not good.

Find a way to make a pen - solid pen - panels work. This is a runner - so anchor the panels or it will go under them.

Start feeding the animals grain in the pen - trap it.

Then build some pens that they have to enter to drink.

Prevents this from happening in the future.

Bez?

Bez?":59t73xhg said:
Libeerated":59t73xhg said:

You have cattle and no infrastructure?

Not good.

Find a way to make a pen - solid pen - panels work. This is a runner - so anchor the panels or it will go under them.

Bez?

:roll:
Never cease's to amaze me.

Libeerated":1ek1z8l7 said:

Just rope it and be done.

Bez?":3n89339o said:

Bez?

Take Bez's advise. That will be the easiest and less stressful way of catching the calf.

Scotty

If you haven't seen a calf scramble you are missing quite a show. Just turn some calves loose in a big pen. Then turn the kids loose with halters. If they catch and halter and lead (drag) calf to circle it's theirs. These are 3-400# calves. This thread sounds like that in the making.

3MR":10r7qin7 said:
Libeerated":10r7qin7 said:

I have a sneaky suspicion this person does not know how - and probably does not know anyone.

I would also suspect it is more than 200 pounds.

Bez?

Get yourself a few panels, and put them up in one of the corners of your pasture, making a small pen. Be sure to panel against the fence so it doesn't slip thru. Walk this calf down the fence line slow and easy,(with momma if you can) right into the corner, close it up. Let it settle down a while, longer the better.
I'm guessing at #200, this calf still needs weined. If you like this calf, and the person you sold it to, do it now. Less stressful for you, the calf and the new owner. Loading will be a breeze after this.
Good luck...

Bez?":2n4wiohd said:
3MR":2n4wiohd said:
Libeerated":2n4wiohd said:

I have a sneaky suspicion this person does not know how - and probably does not know anyone.

I would also suspect it is more than 200 pounds.

Bez?

My thoughts, exactly.

As a young man I run across a few people that had stock
without working pens or traps. They would pay Dad and I
to bring our dogs and cow horse's to rope and drag whatever
they needed to sell into a trailer.

I DO NOT believe anyone should own cattle that don't have facilities. Period! It is unfair to the animals. What do you do if they get sick, have calving problems, eye problems, foot problems - just ignore them or wait til they're down & out - than you are able to treat them. Obviously, you don't vaccinate.
Also, you are taking a 3 mo old calf away from dam (I assumej). Real nice - expecting new owner to go thru weaning & inevitable sickness.
Sorry, don't have any advice other than build facilities.

I believe someone asked if the calf was still on it's mama. Is it? If so, load them both up and take them both to your friend's. If he's a trusted friend, leave them both there until the calf settles down. Hopefully, the friend has pens the calf can't escape from. When the calf becomes accustomed to it's new environment, load mama up and take her home.

Also, especially if the friend doesn't have pens, vaccinate the calf while it's still on the trailer. Hopefully, you trailer has an inside gate that you can trap the calf behind long enough to do this.

You definitely have your work cut out for you.

Alice

Jeanne - Simme Valley":gadqzj4t said:
I DO NOT believe anyone should own cattle that don't have facilities. Period! It is unfair to the animals. What do you do if they get sick, have calving problems, eye problems, foot problems - just ignore them or wait til they're down & out - than you are able to treat them. Obviously, you don't vaccinate.
Also, you are taking a 3 mo old calf away from dam (I assumej). Real nice - expecting new owner to go thru weaning & inevitable sickness.

That almost sounded Caustic if you would have just used hobby farmer.

Take the good advice on building facilities, ignore the slings and arrows. This is a good place to learn but there are good websites that you can find on Google that give good info to those starting out in raising cattle. Talk with your county agent and get some printed material. Good luck on catching the calf. ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ivyvz30 said:

I understand your post 100%

But here in Texas, the drought has me moving cattle all over the place. (lease land) I don't have any "facilities" at most places, unless I bring in panels and make one. I am greatful to have the pasture! I just moved cattle off one place that's "used" up. I rounded up all the calves and cows but...... ONE. I could not catch this little $8&*%^$%!!!

To bring in the heavy cattle panles and build a correl and traps, would take two days of moving and set up,loading and break down and removel. It would cost me more to do this than the calf is worth.

This is what I do...... call your Vet and drug the calf with a sedative in some sweet feed. Move the calf and be done with it. It's cost effective. If you still can't move her, refund the peoples money and shoot her and make hamburger. You can't spend alot of money on problem animals.

Latest posts