How to castrate in a one man operation?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I'm switching over to freezer beef sales and no longer require testicles (on the bull that is, lol). My wife is absolutely not going to help me so I'm a one man show. I have a Priefert cattle cage with head gate to work them in. I'm thinking about getting one of those electric immobilizers to help avoid being kicked. Anyone use one? Or should I just tie off their legs to a forward anchor? Other options?

I've operated by myself a lot in the last 13 years.Both banding and knifing.Biggest problem for me is the tail in the way or slapping your face.I have been kicked a few times but up close and squatting sideways helps.Or,stay on your feet if they are tall enough.
That said,it's always better when you can have a holder guy to get beside the calf and bring the tail pulled up over the back.Seems to "saddle block" them somewhat.I know they will go down on the rear end if the tail is held too tight.
I also advise you to get a pair of steel toe boots,preferably with met guards.Those rear toes hurt when they step down.
You might get kicked more often trying to tie off the legs.If you do decide to tie off the legs or anything for that matter always have a good,sharp knife where you can get it quick if one goes down.

I try to band at birth so I don't need help. If I can't get it done (brahma cows) I wait til I work them and do it then. I will always have help when I work everything.

I've only used a bander on them while they're in a headgate. Get behind them and push them into the gate while slipping the band on. Haven't had one kick me yet.

A squeeze chute that you can go in from the side on has always worked just fine for me. Don't need any help at all.

NonTypicalCPA":t04sjl0b said:
kenny thomas":t04sjl0b said:
Google Imobolizer. I castrate everything by myself.
Mine came from Livestock Concepts

It looks like they work well in the videos. What brand do you use?
I'm not sure what mine is. I gave around 250 for mine. I'm working in TX but as I get time I will see what it is.

I have cut many of them by myself. I have a squeeze chute to keep them from moving so much tho. A tail holder would be fantastic if someone was around to help, but 90% of the time I am solo. I cut the bottom of the sack off and pull the testicles out to breakage. Something I have found very helpful. Get a small pair of vice grips to grab the bottom of the sac and pull down some. Makes it cut easier, and no risk of cutting your self.

5S Cattle":2bv36krg said:
I try to band at birth so I don't need help. If I can't get it done (brahma cows) I wait til I work them and do it then. I will always have help when I work everything.
If you can get it done is right..those Brahman mamas will wade through he!! To get you away from they chillun.

pen em..rope em..tie em off..walk down thr rope..straddle and hook the legs with your legs..reach under and apply band..takes 2 min..i do all of em by myself..hundreds..

It doesn't take a big strong man to tail a calf. I have done plenty of them with a 10 year old girl holding the tail.

Another method which I have done in the past is to get them into a small pen. Get a rope on both back legs. Take a couple wraps on the top of a post. Pull the calf toward you with one hand while taking up the slack with the other hand. Once the calf is on a short enough rope where when tipped over its hind quarters are a few inches off the ground, tie off the rope and tip it over, Kneel one knee on its neck. It can't kick or go anywhere. This method works good up to about 200 pounds.

slick4591":1ax0bpaq said:
I've only used a bander on them while they're in a headgate. Get behind them and push them into the gate while slipping the band on. Haven't had one kick me yet.
This is how we do it although we squeeze them tight and have them in the head gate, and its a one woman job too.... lol I watch for the green eye...lol...been pooped on a couple times.

Son of Butch":3fkuhq72 said:
Brute 23":3fkuhq72 said:
Why do you need to cut their nuts to butcher them?
Another good reason would be: To produce a quality product for which his consumers will willing pay a premium.

Can you taste the difference? Ive eaten home raised beef my whole life and it was mostly bulls. Never thought any thing about it. It was still 10X better than the grocery store.

Latest posts