how to build your own show box

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirlboots

Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma. I really need a new show box, last year I had to use a plastic tub; so I would like to make this my 4-H woodworking project this year. I am pretty good, as I have a good helper and have been working with wood for several years. But, everything is much easier with plans, and the plans also eliminate some of the posibility for error (well, kind of). SO, this being said, has anyone made a wooden show box that is not just plywood screwed together (to do well in 4-H it needs to be a little fancy, or at least not all plywood, that is screwed together). I have tried on the internet, just doing a free search, and have not come up with any good plans, although I did find a picture of one that I really liked. Has anyone made a show box that would in any way fit my requirements, and has a good picture, dimensions, or plans for it that you could share?
Sorry for bing so long winded :)

Cowgirlboots, what are you showing/needing a showbox for? My daughters had one for their horses and it stood vertically and we had two saddle racks in it as well as space in the bottom for brushes, buckets, sprays, etc. Their cattle show box was more horizontal and on the lid we had pvc pipe to put their show sticks in so they didn't get bent when the blower and grooming boxes and buckets of stuff got thrown in. Their hog one was small and fit over their hog pen and basically was some sprayers, brushes, feed pans and assorted gear/shampoos. I know their cattle and horse boxes are here and could take some pictures for you. They are plywood though. Understand, plywood is most stable and will stay tight to keep mice out. Boards will shrink and swell and allow mice and spiders in easily at times. Plywood with outdoor spar varnish or polyurethane/marine finish looks wonderful. The girls cattle box is green and outlined in white. There are options. Padded tops to make sitting more comfortable. Just a couple of things that come to mind. Let me know if you want me to snap some photos.

Farmerjon- I show cattle, so I would like to have room for my grooming buckets, feed pans, blower(maybe) and all the other stuff that is needed, which there is a lot. I would love to have a couple of pictures if it is not a problem, I am beginning to think that the show box will not be my 4-H project, but just a project that I will take on, hopefully this winter, while I have a little time in the evenings every once in a while.

just some thoughts you could use plywood and then do different things to dress it up my first one was made of plywood with paneling over the outside it had outdoor scenes on it with edging all the way around it so you could use plywood for the stability and wrap it with something else to make it look good for the project part. One thing I would suggest is we put in 2 shelves about 4 inches apart then drilled holes all over in the top one so cans of adhesive, paint and all the other show day products would stay secure. We put it as close to the top as we could with the lid still closing to hold the cans in if it ever fell over, and also for storage under it.

Here's a helpful hint.
Put wheels on it.
Seriously, look online at the large ice chests with wheels.
They fold to the side when not needed.
Just wheels on one end of the show box will save you future back problems.

Good luck.

When I was in high school, we made showboxes as a project.
After finishing, we took an oxy-acetylene torch and lightly burned the outside wood,
wiped it down, then lacquered it.
Looked nice.

Thanks for the reply, I had never heard of doing something like that, but I will have to look into it more. I'm sure that my grandpa has seen it done before, something we could mess around with :)