How time flies..

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Wore out my inventory of curse words on this pair in the spring. Her first calf.. She was obstinate; the calf was a moron..

After around a month of working with them twice a day, they finally clicked. Now I think she's about ready to be rid of him again. :lol:

By the looks of him, it was worth the trouble. Are you keeping her? If so, I hope next time around isn't a repeat of bad behavior & idiotic baby. ;-)

Bright Raven":1owkgafk said:
You got cocklebur? Shame on you. I hate that weed. Would you believe, I have about won the war.
That farm is covered up with cocklebur. I used to think that regular bush hogging would get rid of it but I'm going to have to spray it.

Workinonit Farm":39dk8m7u said:
By the looks of him, it was worth the trouble. Are you keeping her? If so, I hope next time around isn't a repeat of bad behavior & idiotic baby. ;-)
She will get another chance. She and another heifer calved at virtually the exact time and they both claimed the same calf. Luckily I was around when they calved and could identify who belonged to whom.

Lazy M":2lsljsvp said:
Bright Raven":2lsljsvp said:
You got cocklebur? Shame on you. I hate that weed. Would you believe, I have about won the war.
That farm is covered up with cocklebur. I used to think that regular bush hogging would get rid of it but I'm going to have to spray it.

You definitely have to spray. I found that out. It is the one weed that mowing does not seem to take a toll on.

Bright Raven":3p03crbd said:
Lazy M":3p03crbd said:
Bright Raven":3p03crbd said:

You definitely have to spray. I found that out. It is the one weed that mowing does not seem to take a toll on.
Truth. I've seen plants about 3" tall with burs. Over the last 12 years that farm has slowly progressed from little to no cockleburs to a real problem. I'm looking into different sprayer set ups now. I really like the mister/sprayer that JTrent posted pics of in the grasses/hay forum. May pull the trigger on ones of those. I just hate fooling with chemicals..

Lazy M":2d0ze1wq said:
Bright Raven":2d0ze1wq said:
Lazy M":2d0ze1wq said:

Truth. I've seen plants about 3" tall with burs. Over the last 12 years that farm has slowly progressed from little to no cockleburs to a real problem. I'm looking into different sprayer set ups now. I really like the mister/sprayer that JTrent posted pics of in the grasses/hay forum. May pull the trigger on ones of those. I just hate fooling with chemicals..

' I've seen plants about 3" tall with burs '

I've seen them come up after the first frost and make burrs before another frost, they were about 3" tall with a small burr or two on top.

Lazy M":2b5hvp8e said:
Wore out my inventory of curse words on this pair in the spring. Her first calf.. She was obstinate; the calf was a moron..

After around a month of working with them twice a day, they finally clicked. Now I think she's about ready to be rid of him again. :lol:

We had the very same issue this spring. After we got them separated and the one heifer took her calf or at least what I felt was her calf they have been fine. I don't foresee any trouble in the future. Like yours they both calved basically at the same time and picked spots really close to each other.

Allenw":tdammbqx said:
Lazy M":tdammbqx said:
Bright Raven":tdammbqx said:

' I've seen plants about 3" tall with burs '

I've seen them come up after the first frost and make burrs before another frost, they were about 3" tall with a small burr or two on top.

This has been a bad year for them. They came up on 2 farms we had that have been cocklebur free for years.

Latest posts