How Southwest Airlines got started

Help Support CattleToday:

"Every time the airline industry has recovered from an economic downturn or some other shock in the past fifty years, Southwest has come out much larger and stronger," Mann says.

So what about the next fifty years? "Who knows?" Kelly says. "Maybe we'll have flying cars or something. But I kind of doubt it.

I want my flying car dammit!!

I really hated to see Braniff and Trans Texas Air/Texas International go out of business (TTA/TIA merged with Continental) TTA was my first commercial airplane ride, on a Covair600

I flew commercial a lot back in the early '90s. Southwest was my preference. They were involved in fare wars with competitors and gave a fifth of Jack Daniels or $20 discount. The stewardesses were a riot. I haven't flown commercial since 1993, and don't think I could tolerate it today.

I want my flying car dammit!!

I really hated to see Braniff and Trans Texas Air/Texas International go out of business (TTA/TIA merged with Continental) TTA was my first commercial airplane ride, on a Covair600
It was a Texas International Convair 600 that crashed into Blackfork Mountain in western Arkansas, 1973. I was just a pup then, but I've hiked up to the wreckage several times.

even up to about 2005 at Love Field they had a portable bar set up at most of the gates on Friday afternoon for the end of the week crowd going back home. It was a fun place to sit and wait for your plane.

Latest posts