how soon

Help Support CattleToday:

midwestcows

Reaction score
how long from time jersey cow starts to lose mucous till she calves on average.started yesterday was ai bred on 12-16-06 according to ppw i got when we bought her.

midwestcows":s2979dz9 said:
how long from time jersey cow starts to lose mucous till she calves on average.started yesterday was ai bred on 12-16-06 according to ppw i got when we bought her.

This question is asked about 100 times a year.

Here is the best and most truthful answer - unless you plan to do a C section.

God and Mother Nature will tell you the date and time by the fact the calf is on the ground.

No more and no less.

Do a search for all the info you want right here on the board - but you now have the best answer.

Regards

Bez>

Bez>":1vvs2u28 said:
midwestcows":1vvs2u28 said:

This question is asked about 100 times a year.

Here is the best and most truthful answer - unless you plan to do a C section.

God and Mother Nature will tell you the date and time by the fact the calf is on the ground.

No more and no less.

Do a search for all the info you want right here on the board - but you now have the best answer.

Regards

Bez>

Ditto.

yep thats what i thought was just worried she might be little early.figured better to ask in case there was anything i should do instead of just waiting.

midwestcows":3ffz5ypd said:
yep thats what i thought was just worried she might be little early.figured better to ask in case there was anything i should do instead of just waiting.

And why would you worry?

Two to three weeks either side of the supposed due date.

On top of that - she was bred XXXXX - who knows what day she actually was fertilized and settled?

So, go fetch another coffee and a piece of toast - set out on the front step and enjoy the morning.

Bez>

i'm sure you're right ran #'s on gest calc showed if bred 12/16 due 9/24 just kinda thought early to start losing mucous.guess i just worry too much,btw coffee and toast will be better with fresh cream..

midwestcows":3frlks1s said:
i'm sure you're right ran #'s on gest calc showed if bred 12/16 due 9/24 just kinda thought early to start losing mucous.guess i just worry too much,btw coffee and toast will be better with fresh cream..

And no sugar?

Ah yes - you - like me - are probably sweet enough!!

Have a good day,

Bez>

There are 2 types of mucus. The type tha's usually refered to as the mucusplug and then the actual birthing type of mucus. I've seen the plug type start as much as 2 months before calving. It doens;t really mean diddly, just one of Ma Natures little tricks to keep us guessing

thx i guess all will work out in time.

and yes gotta have my sugar although i'd say some might disagree.

Bez>":1c5jtlnf said:
midwestcows":1c5jtlnf said:

And no sugar?

Bez>

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I couldn't resist! :p

msscamp":fwxg7ctq said:
Bez>":fwxg7ctq said:
midwestcows":fwxg7ctq said:

And no sugar?

Bez>

I already know you do not need sugar young lady!

:p

Back atchya'!!

Bez+

Bez>":31vhkkqx said:
msscamp":31vhkkqx said:
Bez>":31vhkkqx said:
midwestcows":31vhkkqx said:

And no sugar?

Bez>

I already know you do not need sugar young lady!

:p

Back atchya'!!

Bez+

If you're not carefull which log-on you use you might still become guru yet, mate ;-)

most of the time the cow will loose a little mucous, mostly clear several months before calving.

about a week before calving the udder gets large, engourged with colostrum, the rump gets saggy, more mucous, sometimes even bloody.

about a month before calving you'll see the cows stomach change shape several times - the stomach will appear to be low then high then low again - when this change takes place you can assume (although nothing is ever certain) that the calf has gotten turned around and into position (both feet & nose first).

a few days before calving you may also see the "big barrel" look of her stomach start to flatten out a bit - another indication that the calf has moved into the position for birth.

Latest posts