How Soon for Estrus following Parturition

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I had a cow today that was bulling. I was surprised because none of my other cows have ever come into estrus until at least 40 days after parturition. She had a full term calf she delivered unassisted on 4/30/13. That was only 15 days ago. After watching her mount the bull and the bull mount her, I put the bull in the bull pen. I think she was just coming in because she was doing most of the mounting and when she was mounted she would move out from under it. I put him in solitary confinement because I thought it was too early for her healing uterus to harbor a new embryo. Now that I have my own testimony to know it occurs, the question is; Is this very unusual? Second, Am I correct in assuming this is too early for her? Here is a couple of pictures.
30nc9yf.jpg

6ok8k7.jpg

I have a Jersey cow that cycles the first time, after every calf, at 15 days. I scratched my head the first few time, but have come to accept it. The first time I let nature take its course. She did deliver a healthy calf 9 months later (moved way up that year). Not common at all. Can be done. Probably shouldn't be done for the cows sake.

I think 30 to 40 days is more normal.

Isn't that the cow that lost her calf? If so, and considering the shape that she's in, it's not a surprise she is starting to cycle already. The first heat might not be very fertile, but we have had cows settle that early. Especially if it wasn't wanted.

I don't think it's too unusual. We had a heifer due to calve at 23 months of age. She calved early at day 273, we estimate 285 days gestation. She rebred on her expected due date, 12 days after calving! I hadn't intended to breed her then but I didn't have any place for the bull and didn't expect her to come in heat that quickly. She settled to that breeding.

redcowsrule33":38niiz2h said:
Isn't that the cow that lost her calf? If so, and considering the shape that she's in, it's not a surprise she is starting to cycle already. The first heat might not be very fertile, but we have had cows settle that early. Especially if it wasn't wanted.

Yes. I would rather give her a little more time to heal her reproductive system. She is in at least a 7 or 8 condition. And not having a calf nursing may be partly to account for this early event. I was not aware an ovuation could occur this soon. Thanks to all.

I have occasioanlly through the years seen it as early as 2 weeks, sort of like a foaling heat in horses, 4-6 weeks is much more common.

I've seen jersey's do it in ten days.
Cows that lose a calf without having a hard labor will almost always cycle back faster than the rest of the herd. All that energy they were putting into getting ready to raise a calf get's put right back into her body condition and breeding back.
That cow is already packing some pounds, I would get her to where she doesn't look like a fresh cow and pound her out. You could well be in for a metabolic nightmare if you let her breed back and have a calf and she's going to have a real hard time raising enough calf to pay you back for feeding a body that size for a year without a calf to sell for it.