How soon - clean up bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Walked my pastures with cows tonight as always, saw a cow close to being in heat (bull all over her but not standing as of tonight). She was AI'd on 6/25 and now coming into heat on 7/6. Question is; How soon do you turn the clean up bull in with AI'd cows? she was timed sinch so I hoped that 10 days later she would not be in heat.... she is my first to show signs of heat after AI.

Thanks,
Alan

It depends on wether they are purebred or commercial commercial three days after AI bulls go in different breed so can tell. Purebred we wait 20 days unless they are AIed to bull that will do clean up also then straight in. Those we AI to a large group to hope to have a tight calving group of half sibs.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply, she is a purebred (reg). The timed synch system was day 0 shot of GnRH and CIDR, day 7 pull CIDR and shot of Lute, 60 hrs +/- 6 hrs breed and shot of GnRH. So 10 days after the second GnRH she is coming in heat... Normal? Or should I have waited longer to turn in the clean up bull?

Thanks,
Alan

Was she in heat after the synch?

I've had two that was out of synch with how I expected them to cycle after using Cidrs last year, but both of them came back in heat 4 weeks after AI. I usually wait two weeks before turning the bull in and try and spend some time watching for activity for that first week or so.

KNERSIE":2cccw110 said:
Was she in heat after the synch?

I've had two that was out of synch with how I expected them to cycle after using Cidrs last year, but both of them came back in heat 4 weeks after AI. I usually wait two weeks before turning the bull in and try and spend some time watching for activity for that first week or so.

She was one of the bunch of the herd that the heat patch (I assume :???: :? ) got scratched off by tails swatting flies. But she is a full 10 days from the 60 hrs + or - 6 hrs plus a GnRH shot. I was just surprised to see her in heat. On a side note, the bull was turned in just yesterday, and as a yearling bull with cows she was the only cow he beat in the pecking order fights... anything to do with it?

Thanks,
Alan

and as a yearling bull with cows she was the only cow he beat in the pecking order fights... anything to do with it?

A yearling bull will try and mount the southeaster if he could just get it to be still for long enough.

Latest posts