How soon after worming can you see an improvement?

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
I was talking with a new neighbor. He is new to the country and livestock in general ( cows in particular). He has a couple of yearling heifers that aren't going as well as he would like. I asked if he had wormed them; when he responded no, I suggested that he do that first rattle out of the bucket. He asked me how soon after worming them could he expect to see an improvement, i.e. slicking off, etc. Ummmm..... I didn't have a specific answer - just told him in a few weeks he should see an improvement in their hair coat and they should start putting on more weight provided they had adequate groceries. What is the "correct" answer to how soon after worming can you see an improvement?

A heavy load of parasites will be in the manure and obvious, especially tape worms within a day. Bodily improvement will depend on level of parasitism before treatment, mineral status and feed quality and quantity. Average guess: 10 days+.

Ebenezer pretty well summed it up. I've seen some that didn't even look like the same cows at all after 30 days. I've seen some improvement within a week or so at times. Other times I've wormed and you'd never have known it. Just depends on whether or not the had adequate nutrition and whether worms are the real problem.

I would think 10-15 days and you will see an improvement. If he really wants to kick them in gear give them a shot of Multi-Min90, it works wonders.

I agree on when you may see outward improvement but if they had a heavy worm load, there are immediate benefits. Some parasites are extremely destructive. The ones that have life cycles that go through other organs than the intestines can be harmful to health.

Something I've never done but should is take fecal samples to the vet and let them check for worm eggs.May not need to worm.I probably could have saved a bunch of money by now if I didn't need to deworm when I did.

I know some people that do this. They don't take it to the vet but just check with a microscope. Wormer is expensive and we worm everything at least twice a year. Thing is a calf only has to loose or not gain 3-4 pounds because of worms and you'll be a wish I had.

My experience has been 10-14 days, we usually use synathic and injectable dectomax. I don't have any faith in pour-on, it's just my opinion.

What are the signs of worms ? I have a cow that use to be not scared to mix it up and fight for food. She had a calf a month ago and ever since barley eats and will not get near the other cows. Her coat is also not shiny like it was. She lays down a lot here is a pic thanks. I poured on wormer this morning. Was thinking of giving her la 200 or pennacylin in the am. And I feed 30 pounds of hay per head a day.

She is definitely thinner than you would like. I would NOT give her any antibiotics unless you take her temperature & it is showing a fever.
Is this her first calf? Once cattle get thin, they don't have the energy to fight for their feed. Sounds like you are feeding a daily ration, and others may be getting her share.

4 th calf. She use to head butt all the other cows now she is super passive. And I also noticed after she calved she would arch her back a lot and push . But just in the last week she has been laying down a lot and eating little. There is more than enough hay the divided in two feedings and they never finish it all

As Jeanne said.. I'd take her temp, it's even possible she's got a twin in there that didn't come out if she looked like she was pushing/arched back... though a month after calving you'd expect her to be dead from it.

A vet bill will run me about $400 and she will bring me $400 at auction due to the record low prices is the area due to a record drought. I am gonna roll the dice and give her antibiotics. What would be the best antibiotic to give her. I am thinking infection

Lrj505":ub75rf0f said:
A vet bill will run me about $400 and she will bring me $400 at auction due to the record low prices is the area due to a record drought. I am gonna roll the dice and give her antibiotics. What would be the best antibiotic to give her. I am thinking infection
She may not have cleaned out good after calving. Might want to check for uterine infection. Not hard to find....she'll stink to high heaven.

Here's an opportunity to learn.. glove up and see if there's another calf (possibly mummified by now) in there.. I'd take her temp before giving an antibiotic though, if there's no fever an antibiotic isn't going to help anything at all... Maybe a shot of lute/estrumate if you figure she hasn't cleaned out yet.

Where are you located? Australia? put it in your profile :)

Latest posts