How reliable is Angus $EN

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
How reliable is the Angus $EN? What's the highest $EN number you will use?
Thanks in advance. Also, do you look at DMI at all?

I dunno. When we were using some Angus AI sires, I tried to find bulls with $EN above +$10... but looking at the catalogs these days... good luck finding a bull with a positive $EN.
Used a couple that have current $EN values of +$31 and +$35... most of those daughters are still in the herd... approaching 10 yrs of age, now. They get the job done, but most are just average for the herd... no sale toppers coming out of those girls.

Have not looked at DMI.

I've quit paying attention to $EN for the most part unless it's extreme one way or another. The high positives I've found raise puds and the extremely low I'd be worried about breed back. But for the most part it's a index that doesn't really follow function/form.

The two bulls with positive $EN that stick out to me are Connealy Consensus 7229 and Hoover Dam.

I believe the consensus cattle are naturally easy fleshing. I have no knowledge of Hoover dam other than folks like the females.

Chisum 6175 has an $en of +20. His calves are very easy fleshing. I only have about 5 cows out of him in production right now, but they are awesome. Great cows and raise big calves. So far all have bred back quickly. Have 10 more of his heifers calving in January. Kind of sick over the fact you can no longer get semen from him. He's a bull I would really like to have some in the tank for a few certain cows.

Angus $EN is more reliable than those offered by any other breed organization... which is to say better than nothing.

I'd hazard to say $EN might correlate most with mature size and even more so with mature height.
Because comparing 2 mature animals, both in the same pasture and both weighing the same, but of different heights,
the shorter one would be fleshier than the taller one.
It's been my observation that shorter animals tend to be wider and maintain BCS better than their taller herdmates.

From the AAA:
"Components for computing the cow $EN savings difference include lactation energy requirements and energy costs associated with differences in mature cow size."

So... yes... mature cow size and milk.

Never got around to using any Red Angus sires, but the RAA Maternal Energy (ME) epd looked like it was similar to $EN... though a greater negative number, IIRC, correlated to lower feed costs.

So a friend tells me that people usually buy the biggest(tallest) bull without regard to SEN. What do you think?

When I AI BA, I usually only use bulls with a positive EN number. That eliminates most of them, but that is good. I only need one or two cow maker bulls.

I use DMI when estimating the profitability of commercial females. Big girls with average calves don't profit much.