How possible is this....

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have three Limi heifers in the same pasture as a Limi steer that I bought at a sale. I noticed that he is continualy mounting one of the heifers and she is standing for him. I also noticed semen dripping from him after he dismounted. He appears to have been banded at an early age. Do steers normally mount cows as completely as he seems to be doing? I have tried to look to see if maybe his initial banding was not completely successfull but I cannot tell as he does not let me get too close. I have my suspicions because he seems to be bulking up in the shoulders much like a bull. He will weigh about 750 pounds or so and I would guess him to be less than a year old. Is it possible for a "partial steer" of his age to impregnate the heifers?

Thanks

Yes it is possible. In fact Likely.
For this reason I never mix steers and heifers.
Also, when steers and heifers are mixed they will spend a lot of time riding and fighting with each other instead of eating and getting fat.

Well, in horses...I've seen 'proud-cut' geldings (castrated stallion that didn't get cut right) that will breed any mare that will stand for 'em. They look like a gelding, but sure act like a stud. Never seen a mare turn up bred, but I've seen several mares with uterine infections and all sorts of reproductive problems from being bred by a gelding.

Bama":3s8dqvwo said:
Sounds like someone didn't count to 2 when they did the banding.

Hoss

It is not unusual for an animal to "suck" one testicle up inside himself if the ring or band is not placed tightly on the scrotum and above the testicles. I got one of these on the home place this year - he is out the door this week.

I figue Bama is on the mark - you got yourself a bull and at least one bred heifer.

Pen this guy and throw him - stretch him out - if you do not have a squeeze. "Cop a feel" and if there is a testicle - it will be there under the skin. If you want to finish the castration this would be the time to do it - but if you are a newbie, I would have a veterinarian do it. It can get a bit messy.

If you do not have the infrastructure to securely round these guys up - well, that is why all the old hands say get your pens and chutes up first - then bring home the animals.

Hope your heifer is big enough to do the job - if not, separate the boy from the girls - go buy some Estrumate and give her a shot to abort the calf. Better than cutting a calf out of a small cow.

If you wanted a steer for eating - just keep him apart from the girls - kill him and eat him on schedule. You will have those who say the animal should be castrated if you are planning to eat him - but I have eaten bulls - and so have many of my associates - and there has never been a complaint.

Good luck on whatever you plan to do.

Bez

This kind of animal is what people in this part of the country call a stag. We have eaten a few over the years, and they were pretty darned good when properly finished!

MOst likely he won;t have vialble sperm because of the nut being inside of the body, but it can happen. If he does it again in 3 weeks he didn;t get her preg this time, but why take a chance. Nut him and lute the heifer. If he's that randy, I'm wondering why he isn;t working any of the other heifers

dun

farmer rich":238975zy said:
dun":238975zy said:
I'm wondering why he isn;t working any of the other heifers

dun

Probably because they are not on heat, or maybe he already bred them.

That was what I was hinting at, basicly a rhetorical question

dun

My nieghbour buys 150 -four to five hundered pound steers every year. always finds about 5 or 6 with 1 nut in them--says either black calves -(or black producers ) are the worst ,Sometimes I wonder if they dont leave them in on purpose,but with this new ear tag system the buyers will be able to track down, where the calve came from.

Dusty Britches":2q7j4wv5 said:
And hence, the problem with banding....

Use a knife, pull 2 out and you are positive he's casterated.

If you can count clear to 2 when cutting you can count that high when banding.

dun

Thanks for all of the info. I have seen him tag the other two heifers also. The heifers are all 800 lbs. or so. If the are pregnant I will let them stay so. I tried to get a good look last night to see if I could spot a testical but not sure. I did see either a testical or a flap of hanging skin but it appeared to be fairly small. I will keep you guys posted on what I find.

dun":27cdk7ee said:
Dusty Britches":27cdk7ee said:
And hence, the problem with banding....

Use a knife, pull 2 out and you are positive he's casterated.

If you can count clear to 2 when cutting you can count that high when banding.

dun

lol

Like Dun said if one slipped up inside him chances are you won't see it

OK, here is an update. My steer is not really a steer. I finally got him in a position to get a good look. He has one testicle in a small scrotum. It looks like banding was not successfull and the missed testicle dropped into what remained of his scrotum. I'm thinking that at least two of the heifers are bred because he now has left them alone and is focusing on the third that appears to be in heat. When is the best time to have them preg checked? Should I wait 90 days or so for a more accurate check?

HOSS":1s1xwml0 said:
OK, here is an update. My steer is not really a steer. I finally got him in a position to get a good look. He has one testicle in a small scrotum. It looks like banding was not successfull and the missed testicle dropped into what remained of his scrotum. I'm thinking that at least two of the heifers are bred because he now has left them alone and is focusing on the third that appears to be in heat. When is the best time to have them preg checked? Should I wait 90 days or so for a more accurate check?

If you are going to abort them do it now..And give yer bull a little touch -up while your at it.

I'd run him through the chute and take a good feel of his underside. We had a nice red angus steer a while ago who was slick as a whistle and started mounting the cows...when we palpated him we found not one but two...a real poor job of banding...held then up in his belly....yeah he got the knife but couldn't put weight on him.
dave Mc

depending upon how savvy your vet is with cattle, he can tell if they are bred at 30 days.

If you don't want them to calve then give them a shot a Lutalyse and if you do want bred heifers then your "steer" will be able to tell you in 18-21 days if they are bred because they will cycle in again if not.

Latest posts