How Old?

Help Support CattleToday:

> How old are most breeds when they
> quit having calves?

One of the foundation cows of the Angus breed back in Scotland was cow named Old Grannie. One story is that she had 25 calves; another credits her with 29.however both declare that only 11 were recorded,and both agree that she died in 1859 at the age of 36 during a thunderstorm.One of her daughters was exhibited at the Highland show at the age of 22 with a calf nursing her, was awarded a Gold Medal.

[email protected]

> Amen. Very well put. Besides the Longhorn definitely has place in today's commercial market as well. We get plenty of calls for Longhorn bulls to breed to first calf heifers-there are alot of Angus and Charolais breeders in our area that are tired of pulling calves and dragging off heifers that couldn't deliver. When crossed with a Black Angus you'll get a black calf with a good beefy carcass that will still bring premium prices at the sale barn. Less than 20% of crosses will have scurs or horns if crossed on polled breeds.

> The reason i was wondering is b/c
> i have longhorns and i know about
> their longevity and i was thinking
> about doing some cross breeded and
> was just curious about longevity
> of other breeds.

Put a beefmaster bull on them, you will be glad you did.

For the most part people don't "bash" breeds of cattle. Everyone has there preference and that determines what breed of animals they own. But, most importantly, the breed of cattle one ownes, if determined by what their goal is. If you don't have a goal, don't get in the cattle business. Examples: If growing horns is the goal or if you think longhorn meat is a health benefit and you have a consumer fine. For the feeder market it seems black has some advantage where I live in central Texas. My goal is to produce quality replacement cattle; to sell the females for a premium to partially offset the price dock I get for the steers.

> 1. I have only heard about
> Longhorns and not Beefalo. After
> my Grandpa had a heart attack they
> told him about Longhorn Beef.

> 2. We have always raised longhorns
> to get the most beef, not fat like
> some people, out of them as
> possible. We have never had to
> pull a calf, and on avg. we have 2
> calfves die a year out of 75 cows.

> 3. From our experience we found
> that solid red bulls work better
> than black bulls. This is because
> red is a dominant color in the
> longhorns. But there are
> exceptions to all things.

> Thanks for not bashing us longhorn
> folks or our longhorns.

[email protected]

> I have several Beefmaster and Beefalo cows that we are breeding to Longhorn bulls and are getting great calves-but if the cow has horns we are still getting horned calves, also some are spotted and line backed like the Longhorns. Otherwise you would never know they were half Longhorn. These crosses make excellent replacement heifers too.

[email protected]

i know someone who has longhorns and runs a charlois bull with them. he gets very nice calves. i know someone else who has longhorn cows and runs a beefmaster bull with them. very nice calves from them also

[email protected]

Latest posts