• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How old use bands on bull calves?

djinwa

Reaction score
Guy I sold a heifer to last year has a calf he finally decided to make a steer at 11 weeks age. Said he read to band them at 3 weeks of age. So how late can you do it, and do you need a bigger band? His calf is small out of a mostly miniature hereford bull.

EAT BEEF

Reaction score
If you can get them thru the band it will work,you might want to give a tetanus shot.

djinwa

Reaction score
Oh, and the other question is whether tetanus shot must be given well in advance of the banding, or how critical is it?

msscamp

Reaction score
djinwa":3ui3cjt2 said:
Guy I sold a heifer to last year has a calf he finally decided to make a steer at 11 weeks age. Said he read to band them at 3 weeks of age. So how late can you do it, and do you need a bigger band?

Banding can be done at any age from birth right on up to a year old. Of course you need a bigger band for the older ones. A tetanus shot would also be a good idea - especially anything banded past a month or two of age.

djinwa

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - sounds like he's good to go.

Willow Springs

Reaction score
if you are talking about the small calf banders, i wouldn;t put them on one that weighs over 250-300 lbs

Exactly. I have done them with the small bander (docker) rings up to 3 months but usually use 2-3 bands to make sure blood flow is completely cut off. If blood flow is not completely cut off there can be an awful mess. Blood seeps in but there is not enough pressure to get it back out and infection follows. The tetanus shot is a good idea.

dun

Reaction score
We had a problem with some of the young calves having scrotums that were too big (fat) to be able to get into the cheerios bander. Bought a tri-bander (http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 21f071795d) and haven;t had a problem using it on calves up to around 4 months of age. Vet borrowed it to use on a rectal prolapse in a show pig.

dun

Reaction score
KNERSIE":1id9qjxe said:
Vet borrowed it to use on a rectal prolapse in a show pig.

Explain?
Something about using a plastic tube to hold the prolapse in and the ring clamps the outside of the pig to the plastic tube. Didn;t see it so I don;t really undestand it. When I said they should just butcher the pig he got a pained expression on his face and said that's what he had recommended they do.

Susie David

Reaction score
Two in hand...release the band. We use two cheerio bands on the bigger calves and haven't had a problem. Don't give tetanus shots, no broken skin or open wound, do keep a eye on the animal but again never had a problem. DMc