How Old Is Your Father (or would be)?

Help Support CattleToday:

My dad was 91 when we buried him this last Saturday. Great long life, no health issues, still had a sharper mind than me I'm 57. He had no regrets.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
kerley said:
My Dad was born Jan 12, 1896 on the family farm in Crocker Missouri, Puloski County. He was the second child of seventeen. He passed in Jan 1972, If he were here today he would be 123 years old. He fought in WW1. Mom was born on Dec.12,1906 and passed on August 18 1984.

17 children! Amazing. :tiphat:
And Grandma out lived most of them, passed in 1970 at 97 years old, I only remember seeing my Grandmother three times in my life that I can remember.

kerley said:
My Dad was born Jan 12, 1896 on the family farm in Crocker Missouri, Puloski County. He was the second child of seventeen. He passed in Jan 1972, If he were here today he would be 123 years old. He fought in WW1. Mom was born on Dec.12,1906 and passed on August 18 1984.
Your grandfather needed a hobby good lord I'd hate to know what it cost to feed 17 youngins these days.

JW IN VA said:
Dad would be 98.Mom would be 94.He was born in 1921 and passed in 1999.She was born in 1925 and passed in 2013.

Same year my dad was born. The Great Depression generation. The Depression experience cast a big shadow over that generation.

Mine would be 75, widowmaker took him at 50, trying to doctor a sick calf in the middle of july. Let me rephrase, stubborness took him.

Bright Raven said:
JW IN VA said:
Dad would be 98.Mom would be 94.He was born in 1921 and passed in 1999.She was born in 1925 and passed in 2013.

Same year my dad was born. The Great Depression generation. The Depression experience cast a big shadow over that generation.

Cast a large shadow over mine as well!
If you didn't have train ticket buying cash, you didn't need it! We rode double on a stick horse.

My dad is 87, still with us. He is a Korean War vet, when he got out of the navy he went back to work...... soon after he knocked up a coworker! They have been married over 63 years, my older sister is still a pain, lol.

Caustic Burno said:
Bright Raven said:
JW IN VA said:

Cast a large shadow over mine as well!
If you didn't have train ticket buying cash, you didn't need it! We rode double on a stick horse.

Dad would not use credit for anything. He never had a mortgage. The Depression created a fear of debt. He had opportunities that he let pass because he would not take any risk.

Father turned 85 in May mom 86 in April. Born 1934 and 1933 respectively. Mom has recently been diagnosed with Parkinsons, and has dementia. Father has worn out joints and pain and was decent until last month when he had a stroke. Is in rehab now and doing pretty good considering but future plans are up in the air. Unfortunately, he is a control freak and has contributed to some of my mom's problems by not wanting her to do the exercises and such "because it hurt her" and she became less and less mobile and now cannot get around on her own. Sister and I were at our wits ends, and now that he has had the stroke, it is all on my brother as POA and for that I am glad. I miss who they were, because they (HE) have changed so much in the past 5 years or so. Grandmother was 98, g'father was 89 and his sister was 104. All had their mental faculties up to the end. Family has "old genes" on both sides, so I plan to be here until I drive my son nuts!!!!!!

I have 2 dads :). My biological and my step father. My father is 52! My step father is 60. My step father is a first generation farmer as my mom. My moms idea. I am now a second generation farmer.

Dad is 67, and in good health. He and Mom "retired" and moved close to where my wife and I live. Dad helped me on the fence crew until a minor heart attack, and we decided it was best to find something less labor intensive even though he really enjoyed it. He now manages a few rental properties for us, as well as his own. Mom went right back to work teaching at the local elementary school...because they asked her to. I've never heard her say no when children were involved.

My dad was born in 1910 and died in 1997. A good man, never did anything exceptional but was always a good provider, a hard worker but a hard man. We were never abused but were worked hard from an early age. Dad just explained it off as something we simply had to learn to do. The only thing I ever knew of him leaving work early for was go watch both me and my older brother play football in HS and as far as I know he never missed a game. Had two bare spots worn out in the yard where he and I played pitch with a baseball. He supported my decisions all my life but I never heard him say "I love you" until I was 43 years old and when he did it about killed us both. lolol Started feeling sort of bad and it continued for about a week. Finally my mom told him she was taking him to the hospital the next morning if he wasn't better. He got up the next morning, shaved, bathed and they went to the hospital. All they did was admit him and put him on oxygen. Almost immediately he began to drift off into lala land, went to sleep and passed away the next morning. Just the way he would have drawn it up if asked how he wanted to go.

The natural order is rough as well being the youngest grandchild.
You wake up one day and realize you have carried everyone out.
All I can say is if you still have your parents, aunts and uncles enjoy every minute! It will all be gone in the blink of an eye.

Caustic Burno said:
All I can say is if you still have your parents, aunts and uncles enjoy every minute! It will all be gone in the blink of an eye.

So true. I grew up where several great aunts and uncles lived in the neighborhood. They are all gone now, and even though life goes on and we have other relationships, nobody replaces them.

I have waited to post on this thread. I would have thought some of us old geezers dads age would be a lot older. Maybe no one wants to admit it. I was born when dad was 42. He would have been 104 this past May. Quirky thing....a woman he once dated will celebrate her 100th birthday soon.

herofan said:
Caustic Burno said:

So true. I grew up where several great aunts and uncles lived in the neighborhood. They are all gone now, and even though life goes on and we have other relationships, nobody replaces them.

My brother and I were truly blessed; our great grandmother was our "day care" provider and Mom dropped us off at her house every day before school. Made from scratch breakfast, walked to her house for lunch, after school snacks (and homework). She was a pistol! Great grandfather died when I was in college.