How Old Is Your Father (or would be)?

Help Support CattleToday:

My dad married when he was around 40yrs, quite a bit older than my mom. He would have turned 90 in June. We are 4 children, I'm the third one. He was a very honest, hard working person and disliked any unfairness. He had a tumor removed, a partial gastrectomy that went wrong and eventually died of renal failure from all the antibiotics that were pumped into him.
It was aweful, one day he was excited, getting ready to go home and the next he was being wheeled off to surgery again...i will never forget his blue eyes watching me as they took him off.

He could be difficult at times, a bit like a rebel without a cause but that I admired in him...he was his own person.

He taught me so much apart from life's lessons. There are times when I'm fixing a water pump, pulling a bearing or doing something mechanical that his words of guidance come to me.

My father would have been 109 in five days. Born 1910.
He was one of the great generation and certainly carried the mantel.
He was only 60 when a coronary hit him.
I could not have dreamed how much of a vacuum he left. I don't think there is anyway to know what a difference they make until they are gone.

Dad was born in 1919 (would have turned 100 this past July) - Mom 1920. Mom died at 93 - dad at 95. Both in great mental & physical health. Dad was also a Sargent in the war. Spoke Parisian French, so was a spy during the war infiltrating a town as a local.
As a child, I found a box containing his purple heart and an article, that explained how "he had to swim and drag one of his men across a river while bullets were flying over head". I said, "no way" - you can't swim. He said you can do anything when bullets are flying!!!

Latest posts