How old is too old?

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":3i15c5hu said:
How dumb an idea would it be to use 2 different bulls to increase chance of conception and dna test to see what's what?
That would maybe be a good way to go, I will ask my Embroyologist about it.
Wondering if the semen ever reacts poorly to one another?

If you're going to use semen from more than one bull, you want to put the semen in at different times ... say 8-12hrs apart.

Some times the semen was frozen with different extenders and those extenders aren't compatable and one bull's semen will die out.

WalnutCrest":1n0npr35 said:
If you're going to use semen from more than one bull, you want to put the semen in at different times ... say 8-12hrs apart.

Some times the semen was frozen with different extenders and those extenders aren't compatable and one bull's semen will die out.
Now that's what I was thinking!

Well I said I would give you an update after we flushed our 15 year old cow when you first started this thread and I got the call today......I got 4 embryos. She flushed 5 and one was degenerate. Overall I must say I am pleased after getting skunked the last two times we flushed her! Now it's time to decide if I should flush her again and up the FSH dosages or just be thankful for what I got. It's not cheap, that's for sure, but it would be so worth it if I got some more embryo's. Decisions, decisions!

Cibster":2xh5frn0 said:
Well I said I would give you an update after we flushed our 15 year old cow when you first started this thread and I got the call today......I got 4 embryos. She flushed 5 and one was degenerate. Overall I must say I am pleased after getting skunked the last two times we flushed her! Now it's time to decide if I should flush her again and up the FSH dosages or just be thankful for what I got. It's not cheap, that's for sure, but it would be so worth it if I got some more embryo's. Decisions, decisions!
Cibster that is great news! Thank you for letting me know!
Well, If you can swing flushing her again, go for it! It will be your last chance and you don't want any regrets! :D

If I am going to do something new, I'm making a mental (and financial) plan to include the possibility that I may have to actually do it THREE times before I get what I want.

I figure the first time I'll screw something up ... the second time, the other guy will screw something up ... and the third time, it'll work.

And, if after three times, if it still doesn't work, it wasn't meant to be.

Occasionally, it'll work the first time ... then I can go do some tinkering on something else with the unspent money and time.

We've got our second flush queued up for tomorrow afternoon ... the first time we had 14 eggs, but only 5 were of good enough quality to make their way to the tank. This time, we're using a different bull and we have eight recips queued up to receive fresh implants. Fingers crossed!

PS -- If she's really your best cow, I wouldn't be afraid to flush her at least once more ... maybe twice more. Why? With four embryos, you'll be fortunate to get three pregnancies ... and, of those three embryos, you may not get any females. I'd flush away until you're reasonably confident you'll get at least three heifers on the ground in hopes that at least one is as good as the one you've got now. Good luck!

branguscowgirl":3emboat4 said:
Good luck WalnutCrest!

We had nine eggs ... only three were fertilized. Bad semen?

All three went in recips ... plus two lower-quality embryos from our first flush ... so, we'll know in a couple of weeks whether or not any of them stuck ... and we should know around August 1st the sexes of any of the calves that are coming.

WalnutCrest":ybly1jxh said:
branguscowgirl":ybly1jxh said:
Good luck WalnutCrest!

We had nine eggs ... only three were fertilized. Bad semen?

All three went in recips ... plus two lower-quality embryos from our first flush ... so, we'll know in a couple of weeks whether or not any of them stuck ... and we should know around August 1st the sexes of any of the calves that are coming.
:clap: :clap: Let us know!

Latest posts