How Old Is Too Old for Calving?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have several beefmaster cows that has been part of our breeding herd for 10 years, how many years should they continue to breed successfully?
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

That's a hard question. We have a 10 year old Angus that I wouldn't even think of selling and a 14-year old that has had her last calf here. Their age is not all that important, as long as they can maintain their condition, breed back and raise a good calf. I did hear a producer say when her older cows' calves are not as good as her first calf heifer's calves, the old cows are sold. That seems to be a good rule of thumb. Good luck...<p>: We have several beefmaster cows that has been part of our breeding herd for 10 years, how many years should they continue to breed successfully?<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Each fall, when I wean the calves and preg test the cows I body score the condition of the cows, particularly the older girls. The teeth are checked on all the cows 10 years and up (of course that's if they passed the preg test!). If she's bred, has a fair set of teeth, and is not showing any problems she goes back out to pasture. Last year I realized one had somehow gotten to be 15, (she was passing the test every year). But, I decided her condition was not as good, her eyelashes had gone white (Angus), a little slower and even though she was bred I shipped her. I have a cow who was born to a cow who was 19 at the time, she's now coming 10 years old herself so we will see what happens. Each cow has to be judged individually, I don't think you can just say do away with all at a certain age.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1ig5ayae said:
: We have several beefmaster cows that has been part of our breeding herd for 10 years, how many years should they continue to breed successfully?<p>each momma cow is different....kep an eye on their conditioning, production, and maintenance....i've seen a 14 year old cow produce some exraordinary show steers year after year. if the genetics are there keep her til she can't no more.<p>
<br>

(User Above)":2dmzef2l said:
: We have several beefmaster cows that has been part of our breeding herd for 10 years, how many years should they continue to breed successfully?<p>we had a limousin/angus cross cow for 11 years. she had the best of care but in 2000 had a weak calf that did not nurse or stand for 2 days. we saved it and it was a nice calf for us. this year, she did the same and then prolapsed 12 hours after birth.I feel that she just was too old even though she was still a nice looking, highly maternal cow. I think it would have made a difference if we would have held off on rebreeding her a couple months.
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts