How old is to old ?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
I have been thinking about buying a couple of 4-5 year old bulls. Looking for Angus and Brangus that have been on pasture and hay. Just wondering if or when they lose their potency and stamina. I was hoping to get 2 years out of them if its feasible. I guess you would have to have them tested for std's and fertility. Going to buy private treaty, I will not buy from sale barns. Thanks

Just bought back a 4 yr old bull I bred, absolutely love his daughters!

Sizmic

theres no reason why you shouldnt if they pass the BSE in the high 80s.you could get a yr maybe 2 out of them.

Depends on the work load and your pasture conditions. Bulls in this country don't go too much past 5 on the forrest permits cuz they break down. But there are folks on here using bulls up to 8 that I have seen posted. Also how many cows do you expect bred in what time frame?

I was thinking around 40 cows. My pastures are fair I guess. I lime according to soil samples, and fertilize when I can afford to. The time frame will be 4-5 cycles. Been running my bulls with the cows year round. I am going to trade my baldie bull for a couple of bred angus heifers, and bring the yearlings to the sale barn. I was going to go without a bull for 3 months. Trying to shorting up on the calving season. Would like to have a 2-2 1/2 month calving season in a couple of years. And sell all my feeders in the spring. Just dosen't make sense to keep a couple of bulls year round any more. thanks

highgrit":hh8715gr said:
I was thinking around 40 cows. My pastures are fair I guess. I lime according to soil samples, and fertilize when I can afford to. The time frame will be 4-5 cycles. Been running my bulls with the cows year round. I am going to trade my baldie bull for a couple of bred angus heifers, and bring the yearlings to the sale barn. I was going to go without a bull for 3 months. Trying to shorting up on the calving season. Would like to have a 2-2 1/2 month calving season in a couple of years. And sell all my feeders in the spring. Just dosen't make sense to keep a couple of bulls year round any more. thanks

Sounds like a decent plan. I have a buddy who has used the same RA for the last 4 yrs he is now coming 6. He stuck 31 out of 32 cows last year and is in perfect shape except for weighing over a ton. If you can find that kind of bull private treaty why not. Assuming of course he can pass the BSE and a Trich test.

Latest posts