How old is this Barn?

Help Support CattleToday:

What part of Kansas? From what I understand, our main barn was built in the 1930's but we still have similar structures on the property with limestone as the base, as well as various rock walls (we're in the southern part of the Flint Hills). Still find a lot of square nails, especially after a heavy rain.

We've been hit twice by tornados but the main barn survived and we sided it with old barn tin. Each sliding door weighs 1000+ lbs.
That's a bit like how I use stepladders TC, Workplace Safety would have a fit if they saw it. I tell my wife if I have an accident come out and put a high vis safety vest on before calling the ambulance, will save a lot of paper work.

Ken

That's a bit like how I use stepladders TC, Workplace Safety would have a fit if they saw it. I tell my wife if I have an accident come out and put a high vis safety vest on before calling the ambulance, will save a lot of paper work.

Ken
I suspect more than one OSHA manual has spontaneously burst into flames at our place!

Dang I wish we had an old barn. Them old barns aren't built like the news ones. Our neighbor has one that's falling down hopefully we can buy them out soon.
Check with the PVA office. Our old house dated back 100 years they had all the paperwork.

Dang I wish we had an old barn. Them old barns aren't built like the news ones. Our neighbor has one that's falling down hopefully we can buy them out soon.
Check with the PVA office. Our old house dated back 100 years they had all the paperwork.
We have two originally tobacco barns on the place we live at that were both built during the 1970's and they haven't held up near as well as the older one.

This is an old tobacco barn, I don't know when it was built but when my side of the family inherited it in the 1990's it still had round pole tier rails for hanging tobacco. We changed most of them over to square tier rails. Found what a friend says is a horse drawn corn cutter in it. Back in the summer found one part of a horse collar down in the floor View attachment 3986View attachment 3987View attachment 3988View attachment 3989View attachment 3990
Replacing those rolly poles take the fun out of it. After a few sticks are laid across the round poles they hold their position good and are not as hard on you feet. I have one barn with mostly round poles as they are anchored pretty good. They are much easier to slide the sticks on and easier on your feet.

When we bought this farm about 3 years ago it had a barn on it that the previous owner didnt take car of and I almost just tore it down but ended up fixing it. A guy that restores barns and fixed it dated it around 1880 or a little before. He said the wooden wheel track and size of the hewn marks all indicated certain things and whatnot.

1FEEDAFC-865D-4416-A9B6-C7D8AF86CBB2.jpeg

We bought that property with that old barn I been telling ya'll about. Needs work like everything else we have but hey I've been eyeing that old barn for years. Some folks want fancy vehicles, fancy houses, fancy boats, fancy this and fancy that. I want more land. 😉 Happy healthy family.

Attachments

• 20210526_162442.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210526_162133.jpg
    20210526_162133.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Okay before ya'll start giving me crap I know it's not actually an "old barn". The barn was built mid 80's. I just called it old barn figure of speech. 😉

Not surprising we have 2 barns built in the 70's, and if they weren't regularly painted and repaired they would be in worse shape than that. Yet some of the real old ones have stayed in better shape comparably. I have heard people talk that maybe it's the lumber not being dried out long enough in more recent times.

Okay before ya'll start giving me crap I know it's not actually an "old barn". The barn was built mid 80's. I just called it old barn figure of speech. 😉

I was incorrect on that, the barn was built around the 30's. That's a guess. The guy purchased the land in the 80's. I thought that man had built the barn than, my mistake. Our land and the new land was actually one owned before the great depression. They had to divide it up and sell it during the great depression. Ya'll wouldn't believe all the barn treasures that came with the old barn.

Latest posts