HOW OLD IS MY CALF?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hey im 14 and im starting a beef herd. i just got 3 cows with 1 calf each frum my grandfather as a gift. none of the calves are weaned. one heifer calf is about 210 pounds, another heifer calf is about 215 pounds, and the steer calf is about 400 pounds. they are all mixed breed cattle but the steer calf is black angus i think. HOW DO I TELL HOW OLD THEY ARE and WHEN DO I WEAN THEM??????????????????? PLEASE EMAIL ME YOUR ANSWERS AND POST THEM ON THIS BOARD IF U WILL B/C I NEED HELP A.S.A.P. thank yall so much!!!!!!! (my email adress is <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>) thanx

[email protected]

> Hey im 14 and im starting a beef
> herd. i just got 3 cows with 1
> calf each frum my grandfather as a
> gift. none of the calves are
> weaned. one heifer calf is about
> 210 pounds, another heifer calf is
> about 215 pounds, and the steer
> calf is about 400 pounds. they are
> all mixed breed cattle but the
> steer calf is black angus i think.
> HOW DO I TELL HOW OLD THEY ARE and
> WHEN DO I WEAN
> THEM??????????????????? PLEASE
> EMAIL ME YOUR ANSWERS AND POST
> THEM ON THIS BOARD IF U WILL B/C I
> NEED HELP A.S.A.P. thank yall so
> much!!!!!!! (my email adress is
> <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A> ) thanx

Andrew, The easiest way to find out how old they are is to ask grandpa when they were born, but if you can't do that you might have to guess. Depending on the breed of cattle the birth weight could be a low as 60 lbs or as high as 120 lbs. They will probably gain at least 1-2 lbs per day. A vet could also estimate their age. We wean at 6-7 months. Hope this helps.

[email protected]

> I look for our calves to weigh
> 100# per months old. So 200# = 2
> months BUT I raise Simmental and
> have very good pastures. We wean
> calves from 6-8 months of age.
> (some sooner if we are showing
> them). Jeanne

We usually wean in late Sept, most of our calves are born in Jan. We wean late compared to some but I'm saving for school and as soon as I wean I have to pay board for feeding. You need to find out what breed they are because each breed grows differently. I have simmentals which are larger than angus, but at 2 months they are usually around 200lbs. Hope this helps, Del

[email protected]

Birth to 14 Months
By the end of a calf's first month, he'll have eight temporary incisors: these are the cow's "baby teeth" and are smaller and whiter than permanent teeth. These temporary incisors will remain firmly in the mouth into the early months of a calf's second year.
17 Months
At around 17 months, the temporary incisors will grow loose and appear longer and narrower than they did in preceding months. The gaps between the calf's teeth will have increased in distance and the base of the incisors, at the gum line, will appear less white.
19 Months to 2 Years
The first permanent incisor (a central incisor—permanent incisors are easy to spot because they are larger, with a yellowish discoloration) will break through at around 19 to 20 months, usually erupting at an angle. The second central incisor will be present by the 21st month, and both teeth will be aligned by the time the cow is 2 years old.

kiara0927":lhlry6c3 said:
Birth to 14 Months
By the end of a calf's first month, he'll have eight temporary incisors: these are the cow's "baby teeth" and are smaller and whiter than permanent teeth. These temporary incisors will remain firmly in the mouth into the early months of a calf's second year.
17 Months
At around 17 months, the temporary incisors will grow loose and appear longer and narrower than they did in preceding months. The gaps between the calf's teeth will have increased in distance and the base of the incisors, at the gum line, will appear less white.
19 Months to 2 Years
The first permanent incisor (a central incisor—permanent incisors are easy to spot because they are larger, with a yellowish discoloration) will break through at around 19 to 20 months, usually erupting at an angle. The second central incisor will be present by the 21st month, and both teeth will be aligned by the time the cow is 2 years old.
You know his thread is 16 years old right? Hopefully now that Andrew is 30 years old he knows how to age a calf a wee bit better than he did when he was 14 :lol:

5S Cattle":2jmsne14 said:
kiara0927":2jmsne14 said:
Birth to 14 Months
17 Months
19 Months to 2 Years
You know his thread is 16 years old right? Hopefully now that Andrew is 30 years old he knows how to age a calf a wee bit better than he did when he was 14 :lol:

It's still good information to share.