how old can simmmental bull start breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

As in: you have him with the cows now and want to know if he's already bred some?

Or: you'd like to know at what age you can turn him in with the cows to breed them?

We cut all of our bull calves at birth, so we don't have to worry about the first scenerio. We buy most of our bulls as yearlings or 2 yr olds depending on how many we replace at a time. We will turn a 2 yr old out with 30-40 cows. But a yearling we will keep near the house with 5-10 cows during his first breeding season if at all possible.

I have a black simmental bull that was 13 months old when I got and he went to work right away I started having about 10 months after he got here.

It's not so much - how old he is - but more important - how much he weighs.
A normal 7 month old 700# bull calf CAN settle a female - very rare - but can happen. Even if HE is developed enough to produce live sperm, rarely is a female small enough for him to penetrate is actually producing a viable egg.
If he weighs 1100-1200# on his birthdate, and you wanted to breed cows that early, he would probably be able to settle 5-10. Actually, the recommendation is 1 cow per month old. So 12 months - 12 cows. 15 months old - 15 cows.

Thanks for the quick replies I am not sure his exact weight he is pushing 900 lbs,the breeder that I bought him from said that his calves was small this year.Does this sound right size for his age ,I will post a picture soon Thanks again Dean. 8)

I wouldn't turn him otu wiht the cows yet like someone elses said he's right on time but it might ruin him. i wait until there at least 1 1/2 or 2.