how often to vaccinate

Help Support CattleToday:

kb5iod

Reaction score
For those of you who work your cattle twice a year, do you give a full round of vaccines both times? For instance, I started my cattle on Cattlemaster Gold and Spirovac this past spring. Should I vaccinate again this time of year or wait (refering to cows). Is once a year enough?

kb5iod":2wrdt1w4 said:
For those of you who work your cattle twice a year, do you give a full round of vaccines both times? For instance, I started my cattle on Cattlemaster Gold and Spirovac this past spring. Should I vaccinate again this time of year or wait (refering to cows). Is once a year enough?

I agree with checking the label, and would also suggest you talk with your vet. Cattlemaster Gold is a killed vaccine, and some killed vaccines require a second vaccination given anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks following the first vaccination to achieve full protection. Spirovac clearly states 2 2 ml doses given sub-q 4-6 weeks apart. When all else fails - read the directions.

I have read the labels, just wondering what general regimens others use regarding vaccinations.

kb5iod":4ymk742h said:
I have read the labels, just wondering what general regimens others use regarding vaccinations.

I can't speak for others, but we vaccinated according to the directions on the label - at the recommended intervals. All cattle vaccinated in any given year subsequently received a yearly booster given at the same time as the original vaccination every year that they were in our herd.

Most of the vaccine labels say annual or as suggested by your vet.

Two vets in this area suggest twice a year.

so are we over doing it?

Good advice to read the label. If you still have questions you can call Pfizer and talk to a vet. I have called them several and found them to be very helpful.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

kb5iod":z1d2h5zc said:

prior to breeding season, cows are given preg guard pf9 for ibr, bvd types 1 & 2, pi3, lepto & vibrio. new calves are given a round of jencine nasalgen. cows are poured with ivermectrin also.

a couple of weeks prior to weaning calves, we give them their 1st round of shots consisting of 7-way blackleg with haemophilus somnus, jencine 3 for ibr/bvd, pi3, and are poured with ivermectrin.

about a week after weaning, calves are given a repeat of their 1st round shots - and if i think they need it - they may be poured again.

calves going to the feedlot are given pasturella.
heifers to be retained for replacement are calfhood vaccinated.

ROB

Latest posts