how often do you check your cattle (non-calving season)?

Help Support CattleToday:

Once a week during the summer .. Every other or every 3rd day to put out hay . I don't have neighbors and its all woods around my place .. My cows wont go through the fence even with it knocked down too much grass in the pasture .. I count my cows and calves every time I'm there .

TCRanch":3q1jnswj said:
TCRanch":3q1jnswj said:
Supa Dexta":3q1jnswj said:
Carcases of what? Cows?

3 cow hides & looked like 2 weanlings. An oil field worker saw them & called me & the Sheriff. No brands and never found out what happened/who owned them. There were probably 15 carcasses in the McPherson county case.

Found the news link:

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/cow ... y/28272014

I always figured those kind of things were caused by aliens...
Greys_with_cow2_-300x217.jpg

If you think you don't need to check because they have automatic waterers.....

My brother said he got busy recently and wasn't checking his horses like he should have. Noticed as he drove by them they didn't look good. Finally his son got poking around and found out someone shut a valve off to the automatic waterers They went over a week without water and surprised they weren't dead.

Brother felt bad and decided if he's too busy to check them properly he'll get rid of them.

djinwa":q1d5871n said:
If you think you don't need to check because they have automatic waterers.....

My brother said he got busy recently and wasn't checking his horses like he should have. Noticed as he drove by them they didn't look good. Finally his son got poking around and found out someone shut a valve off to the automatic waterers They went over a week without water and surprised they weren't dead.

Brother felt bad and decided if he's too busy to check them properly he'll get rid of them.

I have some cattle that are dependent on a trough for water. Those do get checked daily. The ones that go several days without being checked have access to ponds.

We check ours every morning and late afternoon. We live seven miles from the farm where they are. Only check one time on Sunday unless we are looking for calves.

Non calving - once a day, every day, at least.

Calving - twice a day, at least. Come back during the night if one is showing me something at dark.

In the months they are on the ranch (Nov-Apr) I check and see them daily and more so when calving. When they leave the ranch and hit the range (May-Oct) I go up 3 times a week and check water and look over those I can see. I have been seriously considering a drone next year to cover more ground quicker and be able to see more cows when scattered. Not to mention it would be a little fun... :)

C-Ranch":1dohy70x said:
In the months they are on the ranch (Nov-Apr) I check and see them daily and more so when calving. When they leave the ranch and hit the range (May-Oct) I go up 3 times a week and check water and look over those I can see. I have been seriously considering a drone next year to cover more ground quicker and be able to see more cows when scattered. Not to mention it would be a little fun... :)

I think that's a terrific idea.

Drones for agriculture will be one of the best uses for the otherwise annoying invention. I would love to have one to check on things. As of tonight the low water crossing is running about 5'. I haven't seen the 16 or so calving cows that are stuck on that side in over a week. A aerial view would be nice

I actually looked at some drones last week. If I could find some with a better battery life, I think I'd go for it. I don't know if I'd be able to zip around all of the pastures, and wooded areas and get back within 20-25 minutes. Maybe I am being overly cautious, but I don't want to have that go down in a spot that I cannot get to, because the battery didn't last long enough.

greatgerts":23gvetng said:
I actually looked at some drones last week. If I could find some with a better battery life, I think I'd go for it. I don't know if I'd be able to zip around all of the pastures, and wooded areas and get back within 20-25 minutes. Maybe I am being overly cautious, but I don't want to have that go down in a spot that I cannot get to, because the battery didn't last long enough.

I agree, the battery life on drones isn't the best and extra batteries aren't cheap either. Of all the drones I have looked at I would probably go with the Yuneec 500+ 4k good machine and camera plus batteries are a little less than others. People that use drones for farm/ranching recommend getting 4 batteries and a quick charger which gives you a little more than hour of flight time depending on altitude, wind, and speed.

With the right set up it could sure help many of us out when it comes to checking water, finding cow/calves that are spread out or in places hard to get into, flying fence lines, mapping fields, etc.

Latest posts