how often do yall check cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I check the cows once a day and twice on the weekends but my dad checks them twice a day everyday and sometimes 3 times if one is close to calving. I just enjoy sitting out with them especially during the summer when they are grazing and just watch them work and the pounds go on them.

I get home off work, mix a cocktail , get on the ATV, tell Snoop Dog to load up, and unwind looking at cows most every day. The conversation is a lot more interesting than the ones I had that day at work. gs

Mine are spread over four farms all within about 8-10 miles. In the winter they get checked every day or every other day when we feed. In the warmer months some of them might go a week or so without being checked. If they were further away I'd let them go longer. They've gotta be able to do for themselves.

Our calving season officially starts today so we'll be checking at least 4 times/day. The temps here are dipping real low this week with 8" snow predicted tonight/tomorrow. I've got 8 noted to calve the next 10 days...we'll see how my "it girl" observations pan out from last Spring. I love birddoggin' my mamas. :cboy:

I would be burying a cow right now if I didn't check everyday. Went to feed last night and my old red cow was missing, she is usually waiting at the gate. Went ahead and fed and found her with on her back all four feet in the air, seriously bloated. She had laid where I had moved the bale feeder off a bale and evidently rolled off onto the snow and ice.
At first I thought she had fell and broke something and was gonna just shoot her.
I had brought some feed and put by her head and she started devouring it. I figured if she hadn't gave up I wasn't either. Liked to got a hernia trying to roll her over. Called good old son in law and he came and we got her upright, and covered her with hay, as she was shaking all over.
Then the other cows showed up and started pestering her,and I was amazed when she stood up and the bloat went away. Walked her to the barn, put her in a stall with a bunch of hay. So far so good. She's eating pooping and peeling.
Don't know if she is out of the woods yet or not. Just my two cents...

danl":lqbiqiew said:
I would be burying a cow right now if I didn't check everyday. Went to feed last night and my old red cow was missing, she is usually waiting at the gate. Went ahead and fed and found her with on her back all four feet in the air, seriously bloated. She had laid where I had moved the bale feeder off a bale and evidently rolled off onto the snow and ice.
At first I thought she had fell and broke something and was gonna just shoot her.
I had brought some feed and put by her head and she started devouring it. I figured if she hadn't gave up I wasn't either. Liked to got a hernia trying to roll her over. Called good old son in law and he came and we got her upright, and covered her with hay, as she was shaking all over.
Then the other cows showed up and started pestering her,and I was amazed when she stood up and the bloat went away. Walked her to the barn, put her in a stall with a bunch of hay. So far so good. She's eating pooping and peeling.
Don't know if she is out of the woods yet or not. Just my two cents...

Maybe... If you check cows every other day there would be a 50% chance you would be burying a cow right now. 8)

Twice a day in calving I try to everyday the rest of time. But it does not happen when we are setting and cutting tobacco.

I check once or twice a day while the calves are on the cows, once a day when the cows are dry....3 times a day when they are calving, more if i see someone in labor. We moved our first time heifers to the house where i can look out at them many times a day. I can watch them when i'm cooking, i can watch them while in the yard mowing, i can watch them while in my garden. This is going to save me so much time now that i'm not having to check them many times on a 4wheeler like i had to do when they were in a pasture away from the house. I could still see them, but if someone was having trouble or just calving, i'd be alerted by seeing buzzards flying around. The older cow herds i still check 3 times a day during calving season, but i zip through the herd usually just to write down new calves. Occasionally, i'll wait till one calves if i see one in labor and if i see buzzards i wait till she drops her afterbirth so i can cart it away.

3-4 times a week this time of year. They get more after the time change cause we are working at the farm more. I dont neccesarily check them when im there though. Just according to how busy i am.

Latest posts