how often do yall check cows

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score
How often do yall look in on cows. I check on cows at home daily. I have lease 30 miles away i sometimes only check every 2 weeks. I try to keep high risk cattle, heifers etc. at home but does not. always work out that way. I never overgraze away place always has plenty of grass and water.

Twice a day at least... But we AI. And my cattle are right out our place, within a 45 acre radius...

Some of them I won't see for a few months at a time. I have my regulars that I see weekly and during August when I'm putting out hay I'll see most of them at least weekly but for the most part they're on their own. I spend more time on here talking about them than I do looking at them.

Usually once a day, calving time much more, if it's particularly hot I'll check their water twice a day and have a quick walk through... In the fall after I've weaned the calves and they're grazing fall pasture, I wait for them to tell me something needs to be done.

Winter time and early spring they know the sound of my truck and they make sure I know they are waiting for their snack when I get home. Summer time I go check on them every 3 or 4 days unless I know one is due.

During calving season I check them at least every other day, and usually daily. The rest of the time it's 2 or 3 times per week.

I thank you all for replying. I apologize if im on wrong board, im new here. I have found some of these girls can get pretty wild (independent maybe?) without enough attention. some will come to truck ok, unless its pulling trailer then they head for the hills (literally). last time we gathered i left trailer outside gate, went back for it after i had them in trap. Some calves can go completely wild!!! Had one i only saw a couple of times over several months. I knew it was there from trail camera photos. One day it showed up with herd and followed everybody into trap. I shut the gate and drove home to get trailer and loaded up the yearling. Anyway sometimes traping the ones i want can be a problem. Curious how others may deal with this.... Thanks

fenceman":30vvxmf9 said:
I thank you all for replying. I apologize if im on wrong board, im new here. I have found some of these girls can get pretty wild (independent maybe?) without enough attention. some will come to truck ok, unless its pulling trailer then they head for the hills (literally). last time we gathered i left trailer outside gate, went back for it after i had them in trap. Some calves can go completely wild!!! Had one i only saw a couple of times over several months. I knew it was there from trail camera photos. One day it showed up with herd and followed everybody into trap. I shut the gate and drove home to get trailer and loaded up the yearling. Anyway sometimes traping the ones i want can be a problem. Curious how others may deal with this.... Thanks

As I said, I check mine fairly often, and that usually means getting out of the truck and walking around so they're accustomed to a man on foot. I also put some feed in the pens, let them in to eat it, close the gate while they're eating, and then let them out when they're done. I do that once or twice a month. It's a big help for when I do need to work them. It's also important to stay as calm as possible when you work cattle. A bunch of whooping and hollering will make any of them wild.

I check on all of them at least once a day. Most of the time multiple times but our cows are all able to come within 150' of the house. Our farmstead was started prior to 1870 when the house I live in was built. I guess back then it took a lot more effort to spread out you operation.

The cows at the house get checked every day. Those 30 minutes from home get checked at least twice a week unless its calving time then they get checked once a day as well. Unless I'm in a huge hurry I leave the truck at the gate and walk the farms. Its amazing the difference it makes when its time to load or work cattle.

Checked daily under normal circumstances. I've got a crippled cow and calf in the barn right now so I'm going twice a day. Usually check twice when they're calving or more, same as when I just start to wean. Three times if I can, can't always make it that often and work off the farm 40 miles away

physically walk out with them and check 2 times atleast but driving up and down the road i can see them long as they arent in the woods and that could be in the double digits depending on what im doing that day.

Everyday is the goal. Goals are not always achieved. Horses get checked 3 times per day.

Bigfoot, dont' take me too seriously, but I do find it humorous that you check on the animals that are guaranteed expense accounts more than those that have a chance of earning their keep. :tiphat:

Nesikep":1i8h20ao said:
Bigfoot, dont' take me too seriously, but I do find it humorous that you check on the animals that are guaranteed expense accounts more than those that have a chance of earning their keep. :tiphat:

No offense taken, but my horses pay a lot of the bills around here.

Bigfoot":3fk3ieht said:
Nesikep":3fk3ieht said:

No offense taken, but my horses pay a lot of the bills around here.

Then they're some of the few... guess I kinda threw out the baby with the bathwater.

Latest posts