How often do heifers/cows show heat after being bred?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I saw this in another thread and was curious if this happens very much? I keep track of my handful of heifers/cows breeding dates so I know within a week or so of calf drop. This has me wondering how accurate my records are? Does it happen more with heifers or with cows, or doesn't it matter?

Going by my herd it would be in the single digit percents. half dozen per hundred maybe? That I notice anyways. Some will continue to show interest in other cows in heat, but few show heats again themselves.

NonTypicalCPA":2g8g776l said:
I saw this in another thread and was curious if this happens very much? I keep track of my handful of heifers/cows breeding dates so I know within a week or so of calf drop. This has me wondering how accurate my records are? Does it happen more with heifers or with cows, or doesn't it matter?
Over the years I've probably had a half dozen show heat and actually allow the bull to mount and penetrate but in each case they were all within a few weeks of calving.

TexasBred":nz3ywnri said:
NonTypicalCPA":nz3ywnri said:
Over the years I've probably had a half dozen show heat and actually allow the bull to mount and penetrate but in each case they were all within a few weeks of calving.
Cattle have a 21 day cycle. If a cow settles on the 2nd service and calves on time or early, yes her calving date will be
3 weeks or less of the 1st service even though it was the 2nd service 21 days later that got her pregnant.

Cows continue to release eggs after being bred and if the associated release of estrogen is at a high enough level, they will have a false heat. I have them happen in about 10% of the cows. Pays for the preg checking real quick when vet finds two breds amongst the 'suspected' opens.