How often are you feeding supplement tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Reaction score
I have a small Blk Angus herd in northern AL; they are on good fescue/clover pasture. They receive free-choice mineral (Copperhead) and are maintaining very well. My question is do I need to supplement what they are getting with a tub. I've on occassion put out a couple of Stimulyx tubs and they go through them like candy(bout $85 a pop). Are the tubs necessary? Looking forward to reading your responses.

BKS

Tubs are for only when the hay or forage is poor quality compared to the nutritional needs of the animals. This time of year they don;t need them unless you have badly drought stressed forage.

The last time I put out tubs was the winter before last. The quality of the hay at that time wasn't very good because we'd been experiencing drought for a couple years and the stockpiled grass was no longer there, and what little forage was available wasn't very good due to the previously mentioned dry conditions.

Ditto to what dun said.

It doesn't sound like you need to spend that kind of money right now.

Katherine

We have NEVER fed any tubs. Of course, we have been fortunate & always have good enough hay. As mentioned, tubs are only necessary if your hay or forage is so low in protein, the cattle won't do well, then a protein tub will stretch your feed supply and balance their ration.

dun":2z9bzhzi said:
Tubs are for only when the hay or forage is poor quality compared to the nutritional needs of the animals. This time of year they don;t need them unless you have badly drought stressed forage.
I agree with you on this. In our area we are extremely drought stressed. The cattle have been eating nothing but dried up residue from last winters rye, and some P poor hay. Amazingly they are still in good condition and the cow splat test says they are not needing supplement yet. I have no clue as to where they are getting their nutrition from but until I see the need they will not get any supplement other than hay.
I am following the advice I got from you a couple of years back. Thanks again. It has save me a bunch.

novatech":3kzs7r4k said:
dun":3kzs7r4k said:
I agree with you on this. In our area we are extremely drought stressed. The cattle have been eating nothing but dried up residue from last winters rye, and some P poor hay. Amazingly they are still in good condition and the cow splat test says they are not needing supplement yet. I have no clue as to where they are getting their nutrition from but until I see the need they will not get any supplement other than hay. I am following the advice I got from you a couple of years back. Thanks again. It has save me a bunch.
I am seeing the same thing. I have gotten ahead of the curve a bit. The rain we got in July has produced a good amount of grass. It is drying up again but at least I have been able to stop feeding hay for a while. I do keep some tubs out but they are lasting a lot longer than I would expect. No range meal this year either, just salt and mineral.

2barmcattle":1q6qfj8q said:
novatech":1q6qfj8q said:
dun":1q6qfj8q said:
cow splat test

May be a greenhorn question but........what is that? I would imagine I know what the splat is....explain the test.

Thanks!!

I'm not dun or novatech, but my version of the test is to watch 'em when they pass manure, and see what the manure does and how it looks. Generally if it not just goes splat but splatters in the right shade of green/greenish brown then all is well. Even a decent splat, wet looking pie is okay. If it looks more solid/ dry looking, not so green in color then they aren't getting quite enough of the 'good stuff' to meet their needs.

Like I said, that's just my version of the "splat test".

Katherine

Katherine is correct. The lower the protein, the thicker the manure. That's why in the spring lush green grass produces really loose manure.
So if your cattle have really thick manure, a protein tub might be needed.

If you want to give a little something and keep them gentle give them some protein cubes or even a little soy hull pellets. once a week or so.

Thanks for clearing that up......mine are plenty healthy then. :cboy: :tiphat:

[/quote]
I'm not dun or novatech, but my version of the test is to watch 'em when they pass manure, and see what the manure does and how it looks. Generally if it not just goes splat but splatters in the right shade of green/greenish brown then all is well. Even a decent splat, wet looking pie is okay. If it looks more solid/ dry looking, not so green in color then they aren't getting quite enough of the 'good stuff' to meet their needs.

Like I said, that's just my version of the "splat test".

Katherine[/quote]

Your giving them mineral, the clover and grass will furnish the rest of their nutritional needs.

Latest posts