How not to haul Trucks, Tractors, and Machiney

Help Support CattleToday:

They must make straps a lot stouter down that way. Nice rig job on those too. I'm sure those would hold up no problem in the event of an accident or if they had to slam on brakes. :shock:

A.J. said:
They must make straps a lot stouter down that way. Nice rig job on those too. I'm sure those would hold up no problem in the event of an accident or if they had to slam on brakes. :shock:

That second one from the top was on a trailer with 5 lug wheels. No trailer brakes or any thing. They were in a bind. I doubt they made it much further.

I use to have a pic of a bunch of guys on the side of 37 that rented a single axle Sunbelt trailer with the partial sides behind a single cab truck... with a skidsteer backed on it. :shock: The bucket was partially hanging out the the back. They had lost a wheel going down the highway. DPS was in front of me and saw it. :lol2:

I was at the vet clinic a few years ago and noticed a guy's pin wasn't in securing his goose neck hitch. I mentioned it to him and he just shrugged his shoulders and said he never bothered latching it.

Rafter S said:
I was at the vet clinic a few years ago and noticed a guy's pin wasn't in securing his goose neck hitch. I mentioned it to him and he just shrugged his shoulders and said he never bothered latching it.

I know a few guys that refuse to latch a gooseneck, one of them doesn't latch the bumper pull most times.

I headed out early one morning on a several hundred mile trip to pick up a skid steer with a gooseneck trailer. About halfway there I stopped to get fuel and for whatever reason decided to look at the pin on the turnover ball setup. Well I'd forgot to pin it, which made me nervous. When I watched those guys load that skid steer I realized how close to a disaster I was.

Lucky said:
Rafter S said:

I know a few guys that refuse to latch a gooseneck, one of them doesn't latch the bumper pull most times.

I headed out early one morning on a several hundred mile trip to pick up a skid steer with a gooseneck trailer. About halfway there I stopped to get fuel and for whatever reason decided to look at the pin on the turnover ball setup. Well I'd forgot to pin it, which made me nervous. When I watched those guys load that skid steer I realized how close to a disaster I was.

That's what the safety chains are for though right?

Brute 23 said:
... and people wonder why I'm so pessimistic and paranoid about driving on the road. You see a lot of stuff doing 65,000 miles a year on the road. :hide:

Maybe you said and I missed it. What do you do driving that many miles?

Lucky said:
Rafter S said:

I saw once what can happen (I wasn't involved, but stopped to help). The gooseneck hitch was latched, but the ball wasn't pinned below the bed. They had two horses in the back of the trailer, so not much weight on the tongue, and hit a bump in the road. The ball lifted out of the bed and the trailer turned over. I don't ever want to see that again.

That sounds ugly. I had the chains attached so the worst that would have happened was damage to the truck and a scared skid operator. I met a guy at a gas station one day who's trailer had come loose without the chains hooked up. The bed was pretty much destroyed and he was still nervous. Said it slung the truck off the road and threw the hay cutter he was hauling off the trailer. He had the trailer back on the ball and the hitch tied down with ratchet straps.

HDRider said:
Brute 23 said:
... and people wonder why I'm so pessimistic and paranoid about driving on the road. You see a lot of stuff doing 65,000 miles a year on the road. :hide:

Maybe you said and I missed it. What do you do driving that many miles?

Started contract gauging then went to work for an O&G company and covered multiple feeds in south Texas and west Texas. When I wasnt working there, I was always on the move with cattle stuff or playing. We have places that are several hours in opposite directions, from the house.

It was nothing for me to do 200-300 miles a day.

Was running wide open one day a few years ago trying to get hay moved. Hook up flatbed, move tractor, unhook flatbed, go back and hook up hay trailer. Field to field all day. Was tired and in a hurry. Forgot to latch flatbed. Went down the road 10 miles unloaded no problem. Went to load tractor and it stood up like a bucking horse. Hit brakes on tractor instinctively and locked her down. Got off, let tailgate down, pulled truck up, unloaded tractor, hooked flatbed back up and reloaded. Lucky I reacted quick. Put a crease in my toolbox, but a rubber hammer and some flat black spray paint covered it up pretty well. All bc I was in a hurry. If I'd been on the road I could have hurt someone.

Needed work done a JD tractor and the shop sent a driver with truck and trailer to pick it up. The driver went to load the tractor on the trailer and the rear wheels of his truck came off the ground, and the truck and trailer started rolling downhill toward the creek. The driver just froze, tractor half on and half off trailer and didn't know what to do. I jumped in the truck and hit the brakes and all was good (the emergency brake did no good). We put a chock on the front tires and I held the brakes in the truck and got the tractor loaded.

Latest posts