how much?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Do you think a persons background, contributes to the kind of person they are today?

GMN

Firstly I think it is relative to the education a person was able to obtain and how much they mentally evolve. I also reckon background plays a huge role but you will never quite know 'how much'.
But then I sometimes wonder. I heard this story of two educated young brothers that had an alcoholic father. The one brother drank like a fish and the other did not touch alcohol. When the first brother was asked why he drank so much, he replied, "well look at my father, what else could I do". When the second brother was asked the same question he replied, "well look at my father, what else could I do". So it gets down to a mentality aswell. Too many influences etc to pinpoint just 'how much'.

I think the environemtn growing up does have some affect but it doesn;t affect all of the kids the same. That just sets you up for learning and doing after you leave that influence and if you profit from your experiences.

Environment had a lot to do with my upbringing...At least my parents taught me about "consequences" of my actions and gave me a hands on demonstration more than once.

I dunno about all of this folks. There were six of us plus Dad raised a couple of more that weren't his. Every last one of us are different as day and night. TB he had a very firm hand - and I felt it across my face and backside too many times.

One of my daughters is an engineer and living the perfect life. The other daughter is now a convict and things are still not what they should be with her. Go figure. They ate the same food and were raised under the same rules.

One went off to college and did fine. The other went off to college and came home a meth head. My sisters all want to blame the crowd she ran with. I don't choose to run with a bad crowd and never have (cept maybe some of you folks at CT) :)

For the majority of people I think that environment plays a huge role in who they become. There will always be anomalies - the kid from a gang neighbourhood with a crack addicted mother who leaves and makes something of his life is a story that is told because it is an anomaly, in a good way. The kid with great parents, nice neighbourhood and perfect grades that becomes a crack addict is talked about because it is an anomaly in a bad way.

alisonb had an interesting story - both brothers were a product of their background although opposite in behaviour.

The one story though that I love to hear is when people are saved by Jesus, he is able to erase so much background junk and make a person a new creation.

Your question made me think of the quote: "There but for the grace of God go I."

Yes.

Dave Ramsey says our country is where it is today because most of the people who built it were raised on the farm. He aslo says young people who grow up "on the farm" tend to be more able to take care of themselves and well rounded because for one its just flat out hard work, and two there are more teachable moments.

Based on my personal family... the cousins that grew up "on the farm" vs the cousins that grew up in the city... he is absolutly correct. :nod: God help us.