How much to pay for bull rent

Help Support CattleToday:

Depends on where you are and bull quality. I would recommend having for 3 months, but that's me. Around here your looking at 200$ and up for a good bull. That's what I hear from others, bull leasing isn't something I'm involved in, although when I hear prices like that I sometimes want to get in to it.

A neighbor of mine charges $40 per head for 45 days plus delivery charge.

Last year I was $500/90 days. If buy dies on renters farm he pays me an agreed apon price. I got a simple contract off the internet to sign.

Price of cattle this year I don't know if I will rent one out for under $600. Only way I do is if it's after my breeding season.

Till-Hill":39yuta7h said:
Last year I was $500/90 days. If buy dies on renters farm he pays me an agreed apon price. I got a simple contract off the internet to sign.

Price of cattle this year I don't know if I will rent one out for under $600. Only way I do is if it's after my breeding season.

I haven't ran into anyone out here running a flat rate. Do you guys running the flat rate charge the same for someone running 6 cows as you would for someone with 30?

My neighbor doesn't charge for the bulls death. But he said he'll let folks know they are done doing business with him if he gets back skin and bones or he'll not drop off if the renter doesn't have decent fences. In other words he looks for accidents waiting to happen.

Alan":1yi3bhne said:
Till-Hill":1yi3bhne said:

I haven't ran into anyone out here running a flat rate. Do you guys running the flat rate charge the same for someone running 6 cows as you would for someone with 30?

My neighbor doesn't charge for the bulls death. But he said he'll let folks know they are done doing business with him if he gets back skin and bones or he'll not drop off if the renter doesn't have decent fences. In other words he looks for accidents waiting to happen.

With slaughter bulls at over a dollar a pound, he should look at covering death loss.

Last time I spoke with him, which almost a year ago, he said he had only had one bull end up with a broken penis. I know he has been renting bulls for about ten years, he has about 8 to 10 bulls he keeps just to rent out. But I agree I would think a contract or insurance should be needed. Maybe he figures if the fences are good the herd looks fed chances of a bull dying in 45 days is slim.

I'm still wondering if someone charges a flat rate for a rental bull if usually the adjusted for the number of cow? Is the charge the same for 4 as it is for 30?

The bull is devoting 100% of his time to the person renting him. It should not matter to the owner if the renter has 1 cow or 30 heifers. The bull costs the same and has the same genetics no matter how many they breed. If the renter thinks it is not fair he should get more cows to bring the per head cost down or buy his own bull. If that is to expensive he can buy some cheap semen and AI them.

mwj":1xvkk717 said:
The bull is devoting 100% of his time to the person renting him. It should not matter to the owner if the renter has 1 cow or 30 heifers. The bull costs the same and has the same genetics no matter how many they breed. If the renter thinks it is not fair he should get more cows to bring the per head cost down or buy his own bull. If that is to expensive he can buy some cheap semen and AI them.
That's right. I can feed my bulls at home and use them to clean up dairy cows/heifers and put alot of weight on them at the same time. Don't matter if they have 4 cows or 40. Most of the time the guy with 40 cows will feed them. The guys with 4 have a 1/2 acre lot and feed junk hay.

Broken penis/injury renter doesn't have to pay for as most times it was bull fault.

I found this contract on internet. People seem to like knowing that you care enough to cover both parties.....

http://www.casascattle.com/2010/BULLLEASE2010.doc

Thanks guys for the answer, I agree the owner of the bull sets the rule. I know it sounded like a loaded question, but it was one of more curiosity than anything else. I agree, I would think someone with a small herd would AI and preg check. I also think someone with 20+ cows would keep their own bull. I keep 12 to 15 cows and keep my own cleanup up bull. Not too expensive to feed and not too much of a lose on the bull when I cull him.

However, my neighbor has several bulls he rents out year around for $40 per cow. He says each bull spends 4 to 6 weeks on his place eating his hay, the rest of the time the bulls are making him money and eating someone elses hay. It might just be the type of market out here.

We keep a few yearling bulls for lease out. Would never lease our prime bulls. That said...

We charge $250 a month, minimum 2 months. If longer than 60 days, we prorate rent on per deim basis. The customer is responsible for pick-up and return the bull(s) at their expense. Only lease to "known" ranchers we trust.

You need to insist on a breeding soundness exam and a TRICH TEST or have one done yourself.

I was getting $1000 for 60 days pr bull 4 yrs ago and I wouldn't think nothing about paying a $1000 for 60 days for a good bull if I needed one
I always had the price of the bull on the contract and if he died or was rendered unusable the renter paid the price of the bull
if he was hurt while in renters possession renter paid all vet and med charges to get the bull healthy
Why in the world would you rent a bull for any less if you are breedeing 30 cows that is just $33 pr calf you sure couldn't buy a bull and keep him up for a yr for that amount of money or with todays calf prices that is just roughly the cost of 1 calf at market prices

Latest posts