How much to feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

BRAFORDMAN

Reaction score
I am buying a few red brahman cows to add to my brahman herd.

One of the cows the guy owns was paralyzed during breeding (2600 lb bull tried to mount her from the side) and her calf was placed on one of the cows i am planning on buying. She has a calf herself.

Calves are around the same age and the cow milks well. She is a little thin she is so gentle she was nursing all the calves in the herd until they discovered it and separated her.
Cow is 11 years old and still producing great calves.
The breeder is running low on grass and hay and has to reduce his numbers quick. He is located in south texas. So lack of grass is a factor in the cows weight.
I have the grass at my ranch to feed them.
I plan on maybe separating her and the calves from my other brahman and feeding them a bit plus they will be getting some hay as well as some grass .

What would you guys recommend to feed her and the 2 3 month old calves and how much?

I feed my brahman heifers a 14% protein and i believe 2.5% fat I maybe wrong on the fat content. It consists of corn , a pellet and some kind of stalk not sure what.
I would not own the extra calf but would get credit with the breeder for raising him and can buy more calves or cows later.
I am just helping a friend out.

Thanks for any comments.

BRAFORDMAN":124d8482 said:
I am buying a few red brahman cows to add to my brahman herd.

One of the cows the guy owns was paralyzed during breeding (2600 lb bull tried to mount her from the side) and her calf was placed on one of the cows i am planning on buying. She has a calf herself.

Calves are around the same age and the cow milks well. She is a little thin she is so gentle she was nursing all the calves in the herd until they discovered it and separated her.
Cow is 11 years old and still producing great calves.
The breeder is running low on grass and hay and has to reduce his numbers quick. He is located in south texas. So lack of grass is a factor in the cows weight.
I have the grass at my ranch to feed them.
I plan on maybe separating her and the calves from my other brahman and feeding them a bit plus they will be getting some hay as well as some grass .

What would you guys recommend to feed her and the 2 3 month old calves and how much?

I feed my brahman heifers a 14% protein and i believe 2.5% fat I maybe wrong on the fat content. It consists of corn , a pellet and some kind of stalk not sure what.
I would not own the extra calf but would get credit with the breeder for raising him and can buy more calves or cows later.
I am just helping a friend out.

Thanks for any comments.
Start her out a 1% of her body weight in addition to the free choice hay/pasture. If she's thin and now feeding 2 calves, my priority would be getting her in good enough to breed back. Since your getting credit for the graphed calf, I'd wean the graphed calf at about 250 lbs and put it on full feed. You can put a lb of gain on him for about half what he ll bring on a live weight basis. Your calf will then grow better too. Trying to feed the cow enough to gain body condition plus support 2 calves isn't very practical as cows covert feed to milk very inefficiently. You'll be much better off feeding the graphed calf directly.

I'd make sure the cow hasn't got parasites and see how she does on your grass first, but I'd want to get her to a bull as soon as possible as she'll be the most fertile while she is gaining in condition.

KNERSIE":wldnon4a said:
I'd make sure the cow hasn't got parasites and see how she does on your grass first, but I'd want to get her to a bull as soon as possible as she'll be the most fertile while she is gaining in condition.

I will deworm all the cows when I get them.
I will not breed them until November. Thats when I breed my other brahman.

BRAFORDMAN":166crmwx said:
KNERSIE":166crmwx said:

What is the issue then? Wean the calves in October and join her with the rest in November.

KNERSIE":1heud75u said:
BRAFORDMAN":1heud75u said:
KNERSIE":1heud75u said:

What is the issue then? Wean the calves in October and join her with the rest in November.
That is what i am planning on doing. I just wanted to know if i wanted to supplement the cow since she is raising two calves how much to give her?

Latest posts