how much to feed

Help Support CattleToday:

jpeters1

Reaction score
What would be the proper amount of feed to feed unbreed young heifers (13-16 month olds) that are on dormint buffle grass. I like to give something everyday to keep them gentle and used to me. Iam currently feeding them a mixed feed from our local feedlot that is corn based. I belive it is a finishing ration.
I also have a cow that is going to calve in the next few days. I have pulled her out of the pasture and penned her in a dry lot to keep an eye on her so I will know when she goes in labor. I am feeding her approx 1/2 a square bale of hay(coastal)pr day and around 16lbs of mixed feed. Is this about right?

That seems to be a lot of grain for a bred cow. I usually feed more good quality hay with a little protein supplement to the breeding cows. And of course a good free choice mineral and salt.
The unbred heifers also would do well on good quality hay , minerals and salt with a little protein supplement.

16 lbs of grain/day for a bred animal is too much, IMHO, especially for a penned animal. It will cause her to put on too much weight, which can cause problems with both calving and conception. If she is a first calf heifer, you would be farther ahead to cut it down to a pound or two/day and provide enough good quality hay for her to maintain her weight and continue growing. If she is a mature cow, cut the grain out completely and give her enough good quality grass, or grass with a little alfalfa mixed in, to maintain her weight. I would also be very careful of feeding a finishing ration to young heifers, because it could cause them to gain too much weight to settle come breeding time. Finishing rations are typically used for cattle destined for the freezer. As Kelly said, mineral and salt are essential for any animal - regardless of age.

On the heifers, why don't you feed them around three pounds of grain and all the grass and hay they want. To much grain will get them to fat and will cause breeding, calving, and milking problems. The same with your cow. This way you will see them every day, will calm them down, and should save you some money.