How much to feed calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi all, OK, I've been on the beginnner's board for a week or two, but after reading more posts, I wondered if someone could clear up my confusion. How much milk replacer should a 2-4 week old bull calf be drinking, and how many times a day? (He is eating just a bit of sweet feed daily as well as munching a bit of grass and hay, and drinking water well.) I've heard some folks around here switch to store bought milk at some point...what would be the reasoning for this and is it the way to go? How long will he need milk replacer or milk? He is bottle feeding now, but I'll likely be switching him to a bucket in the next week. (BEfore he breaks my arm butting the bottle...LOL) THanks in advance! Jesse

[email protected]

I feed an milk replacer that is all milk. Feed 2 qts per feeding, twice daily. Keep supply of fresh water and some sweet feed available. Calves seem to do quite nicely on this.

[email protected]

When you a top quality replacer, two quarts twice a day is correct. It's on the bag. Normally one 50 lb bag of replacer is adequate to wean one calf.

dunmovin farms

> I feed an milk replacer that is
> all milk. Feed 2 qts per feeding,
> twice daily. Keep supply of fresh
> water and some sweet feed
> available. Calves seem to do quite
> nicely on this.

Thanks guys! OK, so my nursing bottle is 4 pints (2 quarts, right?), so how long does he need to be bottlefed and on replacer. My bag of formula says 4-6 weeks or until calf is taking a certain amount of feed. (But when does the rumen begin working correctly? He does seem to be chewing cud often, but is not taking much sweet feed and then still forced.) Hmmm...I just checked my formula and it's first ingredients are dried whey, dried whey protein concentrate, dried Whey Product, Dried Skimmed Milk..... it's medicated with oxytetracycline and Neomycin. Any input on whether this is a decent formula --it's Southern States--or if another brand might be better. Thanks again! Jesse

[email protected]

That's as good a mixture as any. The ones to avoid are the soy, soy extra, soy curd types. It will take a while for his rumen to really be functioning up to full capabilities. We used to wean when they were eating two pounds of high quality calf starter a day or one 50 lb sack of milk replacer, usually around 6 to 8 weeks. Access to good hay, fresh water, calf starter and his bottle twice a day should get him to weaning. We have had some that just never really do get into the grain till they are older. As long as they had good hay/pasture we weaned them any way at one sack.

dunmovin farms

> Thanks guys! OK, so my nursing
> bottle is 4 pints (2 quarts,
> right?), so how long does he need
> to be bottlefed and on replacer.
> My bag of formula says 4-6 weeks
> or until calf is taking a certain
> amount of feed. (But when does the
> rumen begin working correctly? He
> does seem to be chewing cud often,
> but is not taking much sweet feed
> and then still forced.) Hmmm...I