How much to charge

Help Support CattleToday:

texast

Reaction score
I'm about to consult a young man on how to get in the business of raising cattle. I would like to know how much to charge him.
I will go out access the land to see what all needs to be done such as fence grass etc. Also I will take care of the cattle for him for the first year or so. Like check on them and sale them things of that nature.
I guess how much should I charge him as a ranch hand and as a consultant?

That's a $64 question! LOL!

How much is your time worth?
How much would it cost for fuel to make a round trip to consult and/or check on things?
I figure your services would be a "managing consultant"...
Consulting time is always worth more than actual labor...based on industry figures.
What would you have to pay someone else to look after and take care of your place?
Depends on your location, market area & going rates for labor.

You could do an up front consulting services and then charge a set monthly fee (based on expected hours of your time & fuel) for any follow-up work, labor, hands-on services.

Any "set fees" for monthly services would need to be highly itemized and specified as to what work and/or services would be included.

Just some thoughts... :)

texast":2kbsnq7s said:
I'm about to consult a young man on how to get in the business of raising cattle. I would like to know how much to charge him.
I will go out access the land to see what all needs to be done such as fence grass etc. Also I will take care of the cattle for him for the first year or so. Like check on them and sale them things of that nature.

A percentge of the profit should be fair................ ;-)

3waycross":ghar3drv said:
texast":ghar3drv said:

:lol: :lol2:

Is this gonna be a large herd? Seems like doing it your self is a good way to learn. At least I'm a learn by doing type of guy. If your wanting to help the fella learn and show him the ropes its gonna be tough to charge him .if your lookin for a full time job make it worth your while.

Really, it would depend on how much help the fellow needs. I used to have folks help me, I would offer up hay throughout the winter. Also, I would just give a calf in return for some services. I would leave their calves with my herd, and when they burned out on playing cowboy they would sell out. I had the agreement every tenth born was his calf.
You have to really like cows, not much money in them truth be told. So it really depends on the other fellow and how persistent he is on learning and his interest. You don't want to raise cows for him, and he not catch on and have false hopes. How many head? All purebred? What age cattle? How far of a drive? I had a loner truck I let one fellow use. He probably needs someone to help him keep them healthy above all. Just give him reassurance that he's not alone and that is worth alot. I have my son working with me, if not for him, I would be in a bind. Hope this helps, great topic. Be sure to tell us how to make money, too. LOL! :lol:

3waycross":1jjx9o3k said:
texast":1jjx9o3k said:

Absolutely in a situation like this where neither party seems to have a clue what it's worth nor perhaps what they're doing !!! Sounds like a train wreck about to happen.

)[/quote]
Absolutely in a situation like this where neither party seems to have a clue what it's worth nor perhaps what they're doing !!! Sounds like a train wreck about to happen.[/quote]

:nod:

Thanks for the replies guy's! I met with the guy last night and turns out this is going to be too much for me based on the distance I would have to drive,119 miles one way .I'm a hands on person. He's wanting the cattle to have on the land for tax purposes and only would see them on the weekend.With cattle I would like to be there everyday or at least every other day as I have done with mine.
I'm going to help him as much as I can when needed but will not take this on as a job.I've helped folks out before and some have helped me too so I'll handle it like that.

Latest posts